360 render visible stitch issue

Hello!

I couldn’t find a solution anywhere, I hope someone can help.
I’ve been playing with 360 renders recently and uploading them to kuula.co
It’s all nice and smooth but for some reason I keep getting a visible stitch.
I have a simple equirectangular camera with default settings and the resolution set up to 1:2 aspect ratio.
And this is how it turns out (you can see the stitch when you rotate the view 180 degrees).

https://kuula.co/share/N2CTl?logo=1&info=1&fs=1&vr=0&sd=1&thumbs=1

Any help would be much appreciated.

Not sure exactly, but my guess would be denoiser artifacts. The pixels right on the edge aren’t sampling anything outside of the frame, so they are noisier.

Potential solutions:

More samples. See if doubling the number of samples helps.

A potential workaround would be to render the scene, then rotate the camera around 180° and render it again. Combine those two images, offset them appropriately to cover the seam and blend them as needed.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

I really like the idea of rendering two images!
It adds some work but definitely would fix the issue!
I’ll try adding more samples too and we’ll see how it turns out.

Thanks again!

1 Like

You were right, it is the denoiser.
A raw render stitches perfectly.
Increasing the samples helps but the added render time makes it unsustainable.

Thanks for the help in figuring this out!

1 Like

Sorry to bother you, but did you manage to combine the two images in such a way that it looks good? How?

What software are you trying to combine the images in?

Generally, you would render 2 panoramas, rotating the camera on its z-axis 180° between renders.

Then you would take one of the panoramas, and either offset, or duplicate the image so that your seam is in the middle of the image:

Then you can overlay the rotated panorama render, which should line up exactly with the offset original, but with no seam in the middle:

Then you can just erase the rest of the overlaid image that doesn’t cover the seam, and flatten the layers down into one file.

1 Like

I´m using photoshop.
Thank you very much!

1 Like