3d Breaking Wave

I have been working on a wave rig. I want to release it to the community at some point soon. It’s the first version and they’re is a way to go but it’s a solid start. Thankyou to all the people who have contributed. This community is awesome! Surf’s Up!

12 Likes

I’m glad this kind of project is happening.

1 Like

Me too! hopefully not long before we can all play around with it.

1 Like

really neat. Geometry Nodes? I have a very WIP wave GN tool that I will eventually do something with.

1 Like

Partially geometry nodes partially rigging with drivers. @sozap was a big help with geometry nodes. At its core its a series of splines that are controlled by drivers and then a mesh is lofted over the splines. The rest of the wave is a series of geometry nodes based masks that control where the foam and shaders should appear.

2 Likes

oh, neat. That’s really similar to the approach I took, although mine is different in an important way :smirk: I used the lofted mesh and a mesh attribute to read the mesh along its UV’s like a tape recorder reading a tape, that’s how mine animates it. I don’t have a picture right now, tho

1 Like

i have no idea how that works hahah. I cant wait to see a render!

1 Like

here is the effect
wave_thing

and here is the mesh it “reads” like a tape to create the effect

eventually I am gonna hook it up to Geometry Nodes simulations and such but I can’t deal with that right now lol

2 Likes

That is impressive sir! Thankyou for sharing your efforts with me. I am amazed at the diversity in how to create a breaking wave in blender. I am thrilled there are more ways to make a wave ! Congratulations

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Yay!! That’s so cool thankyou

1 Like