3d Character Vamana Avatara

3d character and environment made fully in Blender 2.93, rendered in Cycles, 256 samples.

This character depicts the 5th incarnation of Lord Vishnu, known as Vamana (dwarf), described in ancient Indian scriptures. He appeared as a child Vedic student (brahmachari). His bodily complexion was that of flax flower. He was wearing a deerskin and matted hair, carrying waterpot, brahmana stick and an umbrella.

Credits:

Background sky/cloud texture from openfootage.net

Mountains created following Landscape tutorial from CG Boost:

Character mesh made based on tutorials by Dikko on YouTube

Hair made based on tutorial by CG Cookie:
https://cgcookie.com/course/styling-and-rendering-realistic-hair

2 Likes

Why do Indian gods ALWAYS have corpse-blue skin?

It’s creepy.

Imagine how you’d flee in terror if you saw THAT coming towards you on some trail somewhere… far out

I would think blood-red skin symbolic of life would be more appropriate for a god.

Nice scene though.

2 Likes

@Guido_Possum Thanks for the feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

:smiley: Haha, well, not all are blue. Some are golden, some white, some black, some green, and some red too, that I can think of. That’s how they are described, and sometimes there is a story behind their particular color (sometimes there isn’t).

But since gods are also described as being very beautiful, no matter what their skintone, I am sure we could do more justice to them by improving our lighting and rendering skills :wink:

1 Like

And, beauty :laughing:

I am yet to see a statue of a god like that who could even be described as ‘alright looking’ - let alone goddess-grade-beautiful, though that’s just how they’re sculpted historically I spose :thinking:

BUT, that’s not to detract from your scene/render: it’s very well executed.

1 Like

I agree, it’s rather difficult to represent godly beauty with our earthly tools, whether traditional or digital. Aspiring to make a little difference some day…

Thanks again for the feedback, it’s really helpful to receive inputs like that!

1 Like

Nooooo no NO.

Your scene and representation and rendering of that scene and representation, is just fine: I mean apart from the standard minor improvements that still could be made to the shrubbery detail, it’s beautifully executed.

It’s that traditional styling of gods - the cherubic features and generally round anatomy of all these kinds of figures that doesn’t do it for me, personally: your execution of that god-entity is excellent.

What I would love to see, is for all those types of statues - I mean the actual real-life scultpures and figurines - to be redesigned to look like actual gorgeous women really do - nothing’s wrong with your execution of Vishna at all - it’s a lovely scene :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

So many stunning women to use in place of the blue-skinned characters, it would be just awesome to see them based on real human-beings, because that’s really what is biologically most attractive to all of us.

1 Like

You see it’s like, this is the standard example of such a god(ess) depiction - just snatched from google images…

That general design, is not sexy or beautiful really: if they could only replace all these statues and the visual that’s been used for a millenia, change it to an actual, beautiful indian woman - coffee toned skin and all - then all these representations would be really, just proper beautiful.

Course, Vishna’s evidently a dood, so replace ‘beautiful woman’ with ‘handsome man’, but you know what I mean: you don’t need to go all humble at all, because I don’t see any fault in your version of him - I just want real hot women to replace the blue skinned creepies the religion has historically used :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not explaining myself succinctly, but I wanted to be clear I don’t find anything wrong at all with your work: my only critique is of the whole blue-skinned cherub styling that’s been used for soooo long as the visual for those gods.

We draw and sculpt stunning-beautiful human figures all the time: they the style I think should be utilized, to represent true beauty :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Anyhoo, for feedback on your work: the only thing I would maybe tweak a little, is the distribution of grass and greenery: it’s like, the edge of the path is a bit too straight and neat; the texture of the grassy areas on the hills looks, like a texture I guess and the lighting on the leaves of the grassy tufts and little weeds looks - a bit off.

I don’t know HOW to do that, because I’m a noob to Blender, but I know when my eyes tell me something looks a bit off :thinking:

Maybe too, since the atmosphere does look kind’ve overcast, maybe a softening of the light/shadows would sort that out.

:heart:

1 Like

@Guido_Possum I see your point… Well, one part of the answer, I guess, would be that ancient Indian temple art, from whatever I have studied about it, was meant to inspire godly feelings/elevation of consciousness, not so much mundane sexual attraction. Things like traditional Indian theatre would never be allowed to show any violence or sexual activity on the stage - something that would make it really difficult to sell any movie nowadays! But there is a subtle line there, because it is also true that the beauty of art and performances also has to be relatable and attractive to people seeing it. And people have changed over thousands of years. In any case, something to ponder about for the artist!

I agree about tweaking the landscape: just started with landscapes in Blender a few months ago, and it’s no small thing to become good at. Therefore, I am only using them for backgrounds so far :slight_smile:

1 Like