3d Connexion Space mouse with linux

Hey all,
Bit of a niche question but… Does anyone know if there’s a way to get the Space mouse (enterprise) working with Blender on Linux Ubuntu.
Linux drivers seem to have been abandoned in 2014 and and the latest version doesn’t support my enterprise device.
3DxWare 10 Archives - 3Dconnexion US
I understand that theres this
Spacenav web site (sourceforge.net)
But I’d rather not install from sourceforge unless there’s no alternative.
Anybody know anything about this?

Weird thing is, the 3d mouse works on windows before you install the 3d connection drivers. So it seems that Blender can use the mouse natively on windows, but it doesn’t seem to be the same on linux. Anyone know what I might be missing?

All major Linux distributions provide spacenav via their own repositories. Although it’s an old version, it still works.
Just for my curiosity, what’s wrong with sourceforge? Why don’t you want to install from it?

Forgive me I’m pretty ignorant about linux. I opened up “Ubuntu Software”, which I think is the repo, and searched for Spacenav, but I couldn’t see it. Don’t know if I did something wrong.

To be honest, I’ve lost patience with Ubuntu now. After installing the nvidia drivers my keyboard and wifi stopped working. Apparently this is a common problem. So back to windows for the time being.

As for Sourceforge. Again this could just be my ignorance, but I was warned off it by someone I trust who is more technical than me. A few years ago, I think it got a reputation for bundling unwanted programs in the installs. Maybe it doesn’t do it anymore (maybe it never did), but I’m wary of it on that basis.

Instead of Ubuntu Software, install it by typing in the terminal “sudo apt install spacenavd”.

1 Like