3D Cursor position after switching back from local mode?

I wanted to set the 3d cursor rotation for an object composed of many parts, so I isolated the object in local mode, and set the 3D cursor position. Then I wanted to see how well the part rotation looked by switching back to the standard view mode. ( Numpad ‘/’ key).

The problem is the 3d cursor position changes to where it was originally prior to switching to local mode. Is there a way to change this or some alternative method I am over looking?

Using Blender 2.23 and Win 98…

Thanks for any help.

I confirmed what you are talking about. The 3D cursor does indeed move.
Perhaps you can use this as a work around.

Set your 3D cursor where you want it in whatever view you are in.

I edit buttons, press “center cursor” to move the objects center of rotation to the 3D cursor. then rotate about the center rather than cursor,

Push the “center new” button to put it back in the center of the object if you want

I am not sure if this helps because I m not sure what you are trying to do. But at least you aren’t being ignored!

in local view place an empty instead of the cursur (and scale it real big so it’s easy to find) then when you get out of local view select the empty - and snap the curser to it! (delete empty if you no longer need it) Cursur is now right where you want it!
:smiley:

> I am not sure if this helps because I m not sure what you are trying to do. But at least you aren’t being ignored!

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I was trying to adjust the rotation for the trigger of a gun and I didn’t want to rotate it too far so that it goes into the gun handle, yet was rotated as much as possible so that it is visible in the animation. The main problem was that I beveled everything to make it look better, and then I split the bevels from the trigger (as well as in the other details of the gun) so that it renders nicer; which makes trying to get all the little parts correctly selected a pain. I guess I should have made the trigger a seperate object first to keep it separate from the gun in the first place…

ilac - that’s a great work around, thank you very much :slight_smile: