3D Figure Paintings

Thumbnail

This will my final post for this particular series. For a breakdown on the shader see this topic

Here I will share some tips on matters other than shading.

What’s with the weird geometry in the Viewport Render?

Those are meant to be brush strokes bleeding out of the outline. You can notice them if you look at the final renders closely. They are simply cubes instanced on vertices at grazing angles with a volume material on. I think (and hope) they help with the painterly effect.

Outline

The outlines are done with geometry nodes. I extruded the edges between the faces towards the camera and those which are not. Quite simple actually.

Lighting

Point lights instanced in a circle with random colors. You can notice the colored shadows in some of the renders

Hair

I sculpted a simple base using the snake hook brush with dyntopo and drew some semi-transparent curves on it. It’s quite rough, but a Kuwahara filter simplifies the shapes.

Where is the character model from?

I sculpted over and rigged the realistic female model from the Blender Asset bundle. I hope to reuse the model in my future projects.

Questions and suggestions are welcome.

41 Likes

Great work. Stylized, yet realistic… or vice versa. Love to see background in same style.

2 Likes

Amazing breakdown! Quick question, how did you texture the outline? Did you texture the outline? In your renders it seems to have a darker color. My outlines are splotchy and sort of just the texture of the skin. I would want a solid darker color similar to yours.

Apply a different material to the outline faces using the “side” output of the extrude node as a mask.

1 Like

Wow! It’s fantastic! So realistic!:heart_eyes::fire:

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks a lot Bart!

1 Like