3D Font and Clean Mesh? ever?

I am working on a project for my agency and will be putting the quote “If you don’t know your greatest weakness then your greatest weakness is you”. It is intended to be introspective and will be one of many posters in the building. The font thus far was to be plain white font added in photoshop. I am very frustrated with the font in blender and how converting it to mesh always leaves ugly mesh. I wanted to rip through metallic looking 3D font similar to the rips in the patch (adding kryptonite glows and such) but will need fairly good mesh to do it. I dont want to model each letter.

Does anyone have a good workflow or favorite method to add 3D font to their scenes? I am an amateur at this stuff. Cinema 4D which I do not own but have tried seemed to take imported TTF fonts and extruded and beveled with pretty clean quads. Blender does no such thing.

there is an addon to correct font topo and get more quads!
might be available in 2.8 ?
see web

also there are tons of free font on web !

i like your green crystal effect
can you explain how you did it ?
is it with a light outside the objects or inside ect.

rock looks a bit glossy unless on purpose !

overall nice work

thanks
happy bl

I used a translucent material for the crystal and added a couple of green lit hemi’s in there and moved them around to get the desired glow. The rock is supposed to be a meteorite in appearance but I do agree that is is a bit too glossy. I was trying to have it reflect light but probably went too far.

Many thanks. I am not new to blender…my rate of discovery and learning is not exactly on pace with these rockstars on this forum. I am amazed at what people can do. I will definitely look for that add-on. I modeled our departmental badge for posters and such and have fought with font during pretty much every project.

see this if can help for 2.8
but only if you convert to mesh

happy cl

just a note here
i did find a very low / simple poly font / let me know can give link
but depends what you need and quality of font

happy l

That may just do the trick. I will try it both before and after beveled edges. Many thanks! I have modeled so many letters in other projects, ie the font on this patch above. I did that since I knew ahead of time that I was going to deform it on a curve since the patch has a gentle radius to it. Our badge is double domed…a nightmare for me.

Photoshop these days has a 3d text feature that also has a 3d version of its bevel and emboss layer style feature. The topology isn’t the worst but it’s not quads. At the very least it beats Blender at doing a chiseled bevel on the face of any font.

I am running an old version of CS6 but I will check that out. Many thanks!

export 3d layer as .dae

imported to blender it will be like 1,000 meters long.

delete the light and camera that come with it

set origin to geometry then zero out its position so you can see it and scale it down

Most excellent! This will help tremendously.

This is about the best method I’ve seen for producing text with clean topology. Entirely procedural and non-destructive too!

1 Like