3d/live action

Hi, I have a few questions concerning how to add 3d into live action video with Blender and another program.

1. Is there any way to composite using After Effects? If not, what’s the best way?
  2. Can yafray render blender’s composite nodes? Is Indigo better than yafray?
  3. Can someone please make a video tutorial showing, from scratch, how to add blender’s 3d models into a live action video?
  4. How would I have shaky camera movement, but get the 3d models to stay in the same place without moving sparatically?
  5. How would I get the 3d models to move behind real objects even though the camera is not still?
    I AM SOO SORRY TO ASK SO MUCH!!! BUT I REALLY NEED HELP ON THESE SUBJECTS!!! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TIME TO EVEN READ THIS!!!

1 - Yes, but you’ll have to save out Z and IndexOb info as img files from Blender’s compositor to use this info in AE. You’ll have to figure out how to manually set it all up. If you are skilled I’m sure it can be done. If not, be ready for a long and painful learning curve.

2a - ???

2b - I’ve used neither but I gather that Yafray has much better support for Blender’s texture channels.

4 - There’s probably a camera matching script around. Sorry I don’t have a link, try the search function.

5 - You’ll have to make a mask where the real object is so the 3D object disappears when it hits that spot. I have no idea how to do this with Blender’s compositor, or AE ( I could do it in Pshop, but it wouldn’t animate).

1.) If you have AECS3 try this: http://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/

2.) No, and it depends on the style you’re shooting for. Both are basically worthless for animations.

3.) Not me.

4.) Try “The Wiggler” in AE.

5.) This is called keying if you have a fairly homogenous background and it’s not the easiest thing in the world to do even with the effects in AE, nodes in Blender, or other tools in other compositing apps. Otherwise you can create mattes from masks and paint tools.

6.) I think you’re getting way ahead of your skill level at this point. It takes most people several years B4 they are able to put together a shot like this.

This is the sort of thing I would like to start doing in Blender and especially make tutorials for, but unforunately I cannot really do anything with video until I can figure out a way to effectively convert mpeg-2 to avi (my camera records in mpeg-2). Might anyone know something about that subject?

You shuld be able to do it in Blender because the MPEG-2 codec installs with Blender via FFMPEG. I’m fairly certain that Blender can read and convert from all codecs that it’s capable of writing to. You acn find MPEG-2 on the video tab that shows up when you choose FFMPEG as a render format.