3D printing an object with a hole in it

Hi, I modeled this object in Blender and I cut a hole in it. I’d like to 3D print the object with the hole on the top but whenever I import it to Slic3r to see if it if my model is being read correctly the model is displayed without the hole.

here is the .stl file
and the .blend file (I can’t upload files here since I’m a new user for now)

seems like reusing this filehosting service caused my post to be marked as spam. Wondering when the file upload limitation will be removed from my account so I don’t need to use any 3rd party service.

You have created a non-manifold mesh and the slicing program probably corrects it automatically. It’s non-manifold because you’ve opened the surface, and it now has open edges.

This is polygonal modeling, which is surface type modeling paradigm. What it means is that you’re supposed to model a surface that confines a solid. The surface itself has 0 thickness. For example:

• A glass has one surface, it’s the shape of the form that holds the liquid
  • Same with a coffee mug with a handle
  • If you didn’t have the hole in your original, you’re describing a solid block which the printer would print as solid block of plastic, unless altered in the slicer
  • If you don’t have a hole but put another surface inside, opposite of the original surface, you’ve described a hollow object
  • Adding the hole connects the two surfaces in a hollow object with the hole walls, so it’s one continuous surface again. It’s the form that holds liquid if you pour something in, just like a glass.

What you need to do is add thickness so that there’s an inside surface, and surface for the hole. Easiest way to do that is with a solidify modifier. Put it after mirror if you want both, modifier order is top down.

Red: concave polygons
Orange: non-planar polygons

With both, automatic triangulation and triangulation in export might fail to make clean results. It has done so in your .stl, pointed with the white lines. Both can be fixed by adding triangulate modifier. You don’t have to apply the modifier if you do that in export options.

You could also select the concave faces and mesh menu → clean up → split concave faces. Then select the non-planar faces and ctrl+T to triangulate. More destructive way but works.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Amazing. Thank you so much for such a great explanation. It seems to have worked : )

I tried it again with a version with more cuts but it didnt work this time. Is it because the cuts are too close to the edge? forum seemed to mark the other filehost as spam https://upload.cat/42ceede615be5e76

And that one is crap too. Try http://pasteall.org/blend/

much better http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=49636

im thinking the issue is either with the way it is cut (so close to the sides) or because the bottom is completely open?

The geometry consists of two unconnected halves, they’re just intersecting and overlapping. Both halves have edges without faces.

Oh i think i uploaded a wrong version. This should be it
ibeacon-cut-print.blend (534.8 KB)

did the model in your screenshot have the mirror,triangulate, and solidify modifiers already applied? How could I properly connect a mirrored object so there are no edges without faces?

One way to do it is to

Turn triangles into quads, alt+J, shown settings

Select and delete one half, then select the end faces and delete vertices. It also gets rid of the edges

And then add mirror modifier, clipping enabled, then select the open edges and extrude along the mirror axis until the vertices snap in the middle

how did you know to have those settings in the tris to quads section?
here’s me folllowing the steps

I followed all the steps and deleting the faces from when i extruded the open edges and they snapped in the middle.

now there seems to be thin faces, sharp edges, interset faces, etc

ibeacon-cut-print-final.blend (530.0 KB)

By looking at the forms while removing triangles. Left ones at the top.

You didn’t use mirror modifier. Its clipping setting is what stops the vertices on the mirror plane, not snapping function.

wow that’s amazing! thank you so much for taking all this time to explain it all so thoroughly. Making a video was seriously next level thank you so much!