3D Scan: Trees & more!

Here are a couple renders I wanted to share from a recent scanning project. There’s a very interesting, gnarled tree trunk in my yard, which I thought would make a good subject for a video guide I was creating.

I had to limit the number of photos (since my computer is not well suited for intense reconstructions), but I managed to get a decent result from just 22 photos:

Here is a textured render as well. I’m optimistic that with some different settings, I could get much sharper textures:

For anyone interested in seeing the video, you can find it here:

Gnarly is a good word for it. I’m thinking crunchy. Love the details.

Is there anything special about the camera or do you just have an ordinary point and shoot like me?

-edit-
never mind that. Cool video btw.

Nice…
If interested here are some more examples with workflow

This looks very interesting. Looks like something to put on my wish list. :slight_smile:
Does the output from photoscan import easily into Blender?

Very interesting! I’ll have to look into this.

clay render always look awesome… !!!

Good video! Here’s a bit lengthier webinar for scanning heads:

https://vimeo.com/98638688

stonesoup - Crunchy is a good one too! Glad you liked the video! If you’d like to try it out with your own camera, you can download the program and run it in trial mode forever- just be aware you can’t save or export anything until you buy the activation code.

burnin - Thanks for posting that! I recall seeing those video thumbnails before, but I didn’t know the files were available for download. Very cool!

Sweenist - Yes, it works quite well with Blender! Exporting is very simple, I choose OBJ for the model and JPG for the textures and it’s done. The OBJ export is fast even on large models. Doris managed to import a 20,000,000 polygon model into Blender on her 24 GB of RAM computer for me (mine couldn’t handle that, I only had 3 GB at the time). So as long as you’ve got enough RAM, you can import very big scans!

ShadowCamero - Glad you enjoyed it! It’s surprisingly easy to get good results. Maybe it could even help aid your current work.

SKworld - I agree, I prefer the clay version over the textured! All the detail is really interesting. I’m aiming to create higher quality scans in the upcoming videos.

tehtoast - That’s funny you mention that, I only came across that video about a month ago- really super helpful, full of great tips that can help both beginners and more advanced users. The quality he gets from a single camera is really incredible. Thanks for sharing the link!

James, I want to compliment you on what a great job you did on this first tutorial, it was very informative and well thought out with great example images. I’ll look forward to seeing the future videos on this topic.

Thanks, harley! I tried to hit all the important points, while still keeping the video fast and (hopefully) fun to watch. The experience of planning and recording this tutorial should aid me when I create the BTS videos for the floating gun project, as well!

Nice work! Something I’ll have to check out!

Cool. Thanks for tutorial.

Nick - Thank you! It’s a very handy program, and easy to jump into!

gumen - Thanks, I’m glad you found it helpful! I’m hoping people will like the upcoming guides even more- I’m trying more experimental things in them.