3d Settlers of Catan

My family and I have been playing Catan a lot and I thought it would be fun to visualize what the game pieces would look like in 3d. This was also a great excuse to practice working on environments. All of the tiles were created initially using the built in A.N.T Landscapes plugin and then I sculpted additional detail. Textures were a blend of procedural and some content from Quixel.

I’m quite active on Instagram with my current projects if you would like to see more of my work.
Brian Cox (@sparknode)

130 Likes

I love it! nice work!

It makes me wanna play!

1 Like

Amazing detail and realism! Great work!

2 Likes

Thank you! :grinning:

Great idea for a project. I’m sure you will make a lot of people happy.

I.E. It’s about time they updated the graphics!

2 Likes

Interesting. Could a decimated version be 3D printed?

1 Like

A lot of the vegetation are planes which would not translate well. I suppose if you were good at miniatures you could add that detail back in but you would probably be better off printing a stylized version. Would be fun to see these as game pieces though.

1 Like

Very cool! I love the amount of detail!!!

1 Like

This is awesome! I’m a big fan of Catan and this is such great work!

1 Like

Thanks! I had a blast working on this project. I love working on projects that require me to learn new skills and I learned a ton from this one.

Beautiful results! Incredible detail level too, though I imagine the render times are fairly long.

1 Like

It wasn’t too bad actually. At 4k resolution all of the renders took about 30-40 minutes at 256 samples and Optix denoising. The combined piece took the longest at 4 hours as it ran over my video card ram so I had to use CPU rendering :frowning: .

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much! :grinning:

1 Like

Nice and high level

1 Like

zzzzzzzzzzzzz Busy Bee zzzzzzzzzzzz

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much for featuring me. I feel so honored to be on the front page! :grinning:

1 Like

You could make a complete board by doing isometric (orthographic) rendering of each piece with film transparency and then placing the hex-pieces over the ocean backdrop in Photoshop or Gimp.

Wonderful. You might consider making the individual tiles a bit more colorful as Michael’s original illustrations are a bit more colorful as well. That might help to distinguish them a bit better. And maybe make the mountains a tad more greyish - especially towards the peaks. Otherwise this is really nice.

1 Like