3D Star Map Add-on

Hi everyone!

I made an add-on that lets you import up to more than 3,750 stars into your blender viewport based on scientific data. You can then explore their positions, features and movement in the blender viewport or use the imported stars to render beautiful star maps, scientific images and more.

The add-on menu is accessible through a sidebar panel. This add-on works for blender 2.8+.

Here is a short trailer that shows some of its features:

Main features:

• Limit the amount of imported stars based on distance from Earth, spectral classes, apparent magnitude and more
  • Display the stars’ names in the viewport
  • Place the stars in galactic or celestial coordinates
  • Watch how the stars move over time based on their proper motion and radial velocity
  • Simulate the night sky: All stars are projected onto a sphere and their apparent magnitude is used for emission
  • Automatically connect the stars to show star constellations

Version history:

• v1.0.1: The stars’ emission strength in night sky mode now properly scales with the Luminosity setting.

Download:

Now that I finally figured out how to upgrade from new user status (sorry), here are a few example images:

Viewport render in Eevee:

Viewport renders of star constellations in Eevee. With the settings used here, the stars are placed in 3D space, have relative radii and are connected through star constellation lines. A more realtistic representation of the night sky is possible with the night sky mode option.

Map of all the stars within 10 light-years of Earth. The stars’ positions and colors were automatically generated with this add-on.

11 Likes

I got this one. Nice job. :slight_smile: It works very well.

Version 1.1 of my 3D Star Map Add-on has just been released and includes the following new main features:

• Earth rotation: The generated map can now be rotated based on time, date and the position of an observer
  • Shifted center: The center point of the generated map can now be changed to a custom point
  • Print data to console: Star data that is used for map generation can now be printed to blender’s console based on the chosen filters
  • New options that give you further control over the generated map

These new features allow you for example to see how the night sky looks today at your location or let you generate an approximation of the night sky as seen from a different star system.

Long exposure images of how the night sky appears to rotate because of the Earth rotation can for example be created with this new version by using motion blur:

Further information: