3ds Max Vs Lightwave

I know this is probably a bad question to ask since it is against Blender but here go`s. I am currently lookin to get another 3d application and i cant decide which one. Its between 3ds Max and Lightwave. I would really apreciate it if you could tell me which one you would have if you could and why??? I still really like Blender and considering its free its an awesome program and will use it greatly.

Thanks a ton!!!

LW is dead… :frowning:

oh . . . :expressionless:

No.

Anyway, jaycun, it’s really a personal choice. Nobody can tell you which one you’ll like better. But there are some aspects (such as price, workflow, and the inclusion of certain features) that should help you decide. I bought LightWave last year and I absolutely love it. LightWave’s price just dropped, so it’s way below most of the competition. Not to mention that version 9 will be released soon, which is looking to be quite amazing…

Be sure to get both sides of the story though. I know there are plenty of 3DS users on elYsiun. Talk to them and see what they think. If you want more info on LW, you can email me.

Over at ResPower, we support both in addition to Maya, Vue, and Blender, so here’s my take…

LightWave and 3dsmax have completely different paradigms on 3D. If you’ve done any programming, think of LightWave like “C” and 3dsmax like “C++”. This doesn’t necessarily mean that 3dsmax is “better-” it just has a more object-centric design than LW, which takes a more polygon-centric view of things.

So for example, in 3ds when you create a sphere, you have an object of type “sphere.” In LW, you get an .LWO file that contains a bunch of polygons that just happen to be spherically oriented.

One thing that I personally prefer for LW over 3dsmax (or nearly the rest of the 3d industry) is the notion of keeping models and animation separate. 3dsmax has XREF’s to do this, but it feels like a hacked-on feature that isn’t really central to the paradigm like it is in LW.

Sorry for the lack of “Choose product XXX”, but I hope this info is useful to you.

– Early Ehlinger
President, ResPower, Inc.

I think 3dsmax is ugly %| but it’s probably just me.

I can’t really speak because I’ve never used LW, but from what i’ve seen I would go for LW instead of 3dsmax.

3dsmax reminds me of one of those buggy low-budget apps and it’s community seems to be (In my opinion) more happy that they’ve got the most popular 3d app than they have a set of tools.

I have LW8. I haven’t spent much time learning it because I am too lazy and Blender can do everything I need. But I do plan to learn to use it better soon.

Hi all, here’s a couple cents.

I work on several different productions, most of which use 3d Max. I work in game development and due to the millions of plugins as well as software used to build games for various platforms, 3ds has a major foothold in that industry.

There is always the battle of which 3d app is the best, however, as mentioned before, it simply comes down to which tool is better suited for the job.

I learned how to model, animate etc using 3ds, so it is my 3d app of choice (sorry - haven’t had the time to really get to know blender), especially because of the rendering solutions as well as several plugins like the CAT toolkit make this an invaluable piece of software.

The main point to consider is this: what is your purpose for the software? Film? Gaming? Broadcast graphics? This should be one of the guides in your decision. If you are freelancing and looking to pick up work, this is a most critical decision. For instance, I have hired primarily artists who use 3ds because of client needs. I don’t discriminate against users of other software, but in terms of client satisfaction, it is simply a matter of giving what they want, and as yet I haven’t worked with artists who’ve used other software.

So in short, think long and hard about what the ultimate purpose of you acquiring this software is for. Good luck!

D

It all depends on what you want to do.

If you want to learn 3d and animation, stick with blender.

Lightwave was my 3d app of choice 5 years ago. Good render quality.

Max is good for Architectural presentation. It doesn’t convince me much for animation. It’s a resource hog. A typical Autodesk, tool heavy collection of “features”. Sub surf is (I stopped at Version 5) hilariously bad.

I learned more about 3d using blender in 6 months than 2 years of Max.

Blender gets the job done. It now has a stack so objects can be edited after modification. I’m about to trial some architectural presentations in blender. See how it goes against max. Max is an insane price too.

With 3d, it’s like a marriage, pick your platform and stick at it.

BB

I loved the 3ds max demo, but its run out now so im learning blender :slight_smile:

Personally I find max very quick and easy to use, quite game creation orientated which I what im in too more than renders, from my experience - yet I havnt have much of that with LW, I think that LW is more of a render software, whereas max is possibly more of a game creation utility, however both are incredible peices of software, so choose whichever you prefer and go with that is my advice :wink:

However if it was my choice I would go for max. 8)

If it was my choice I would stick with Blender.

If you want to model for games Blender has great pyton scipts that do this. If you just want to render images Blender is great at that.

And it doesnt cost a penny. Save your money stick with blender :wink:

This should be in off-topic chat.

I’d say go with lightwave, of course it depends what you’re going to use it for. But LW does have a production quality renderer built in, even if it is getting old. I’m just repeating what I’ve read though, can’t afford either of em and I think max costs way more then LW also.

id go with lw too. i have max and have used lw at our school and i find that lw is eaiser to use and learn. just imo.

As a current owner of LW8, I would suggest against it. Personally, once I can afford it, I’ll be getting Silo and either Messiah Studio Workstation or XSI Foundation. I’d say that it all depends on what you want to do really. I’m a hobbiest and don’t really care much about if my chosen tools will get me a leg up in the industry.

since when is lightwave dead?

To Burritoboy and the Maker:

I use all the software you mention above and this is just somethings I need to point out. Please don’t be offended.

“It all depends on what you want to do.” — You can do anything you want to do in max.

“If you want to learn 3d and animation, stick with blender.” I highly disagree. While I just started to use blender and I am currently writing tutorials on it, blender has the worst UI I ever saw. Simple buttons are hard to find and remember. Sometimes the words on the buttons are cut off and you have to rollover to see the function. This is time consuming.

“Max is good for Architectural presentation. It doesn’t convince me much for animation. It’s a resource hog. A typical Autodesk, tool heavy collection of “features”. Sub surf is (I stopped at Version 5) hilariously bad.” ---- Ok 3ds Max is Good for EVERYTHING! If you don’t believe me please visit 3dtotal.com and browse the galleries ;). It’s only a resource hog if you have a lame computer because I run both 3ds max, combustion and photoshop and it doesn’t hog my system. 3ds Max SubSurface is one of the best! it’s way more flexible than blender’s are you kidding? If it was hilariously bad all those game developing companies wouldn’t use it to make top selling games.

“I learned more about 3d using blender in 6 months than 2 years of Max.” ---- :o Really? I don’t believe that because the help file in max is VERY thorough and it explains ALL concepts of animation, lighting, effects etc. The help file in blender is really poor “compared” to that of 3ds max. :-? .

“Blender gets the job done. It now has a stack so objects can be edited after modification. I’m about to trial some architectural presentations in blender. See how it goes against max. Max is an insane price too.” — True blender get’s the job done but max gets it done way better and faster. 3ds Max has a modifier stack since version 2.5 i think. You’re right about the price of max being insane, that is for the rest of us, but the features way outways the price. 3ds Max 8 now goes for around $4000.00.

Before anyone get’s mad: I’m not offended. I’m just stating the facts.

1. 3ds Max is the Leading Package in the world. Autodesk sold about twice as much as Alias Maya last year and literally bought the rights to Maya. 3ds Max is the greatest package now due to the easy learning curve and the features.

2. Lightwave is also also a good package for a much cheaper price! It has a great modeler and great features! It’s not dead!

3. Maya is an industry favorite! Rich with dynamic features for “pros” but the long learning curve (“Over 1 year”) and the steep price makes it look like not much of a deal.

My advise??? : GET BLENDER! IT’S FREE AND GREAT!!! If you just don’t like blender I would say take a look at lightwave because it’s cheaper and it’s capable of alot (eg. Jimmy Neutron :slight_smile: )

If you want the best meaning: easy learning curve, advanced features and plugins, ability to turn a dream into reality with ease, much much more, Band your belly and Go for 3ds Max!

Hope This helps.

Im gonna have to agree with jepmaster hear, all the things he said are dead on. A lot of you guys supporting Blender are mentioning its good features, that, well other professional applications have had years before, and are of better quality.

also, for all you people saying to stick with blender. That isnt what hes asking! Hes asking which app should he buy BETWEEN lightwave and 3dsmax.

I personally would go with Max, but lw is a lot cheaper. Now since Autodesk bought Alias, maybe they will be smart enough to release a 3dsMax PLE, and screw gmax.

And max’s help files are very very thorough, plus (i think) there are more max based tutorials on the net, than any other app.

Let’s settle this once and for all.

-Lightwave :

cheaper
easy to learn
faster to operate
outputs some of the coolest environmental elements
cost less to upgrade
complete outa the box
watch battlestar galactica to checkout a demo of it’s power
etc,etc…3d is 3d

-Max :

cost more
everybody and their uncle used it
it’s great for 3d game development
every feature in the known 3d universe is available in one way or another
cost more to upgrade
future unknown, will it be mayamax, or maxamaya…
etc, etc…3d is 3d

And please by all means,

Blend on!

I highly disagree. While I just started to use blender and I am currently writing tutorials on it, blender has the worst UI I ever saw. Simple buttons are hard to find and remember. Sometimes the words on the buttons are cut off and you have to rollover to see the function. This is time consuming.

I just wanted to point this out, blender is hot-key driven, if you’re used to using the mouse to do everything you’ll have a real hard time with blender.

With blender you should keep your left hand on the keyboard and right hand on the mouse. After you read the manual it’ll make things way faster. Also try the wiki book “Blender: Noob to pro”.

Even tho Lightwave is cheaper…you need to learn what is used most if you want to get into the industry.

I agree with everything jepmaster said…I was going to defend max but he did it :smiley:

When you first start using max tho it will feel really wierd, I know when i started using it I felt like a retard. But after a week or so I became attached to the little guy. And the max sub-d is not a joke, in fact I feel its more useable…

So long story…short…go with max and your life will be complete.