3rD try at Head Modeling

I’ve been reading up on SSS multi layering so that should be a must, okay off to bed will update again tomorrow.

Here are two of the results I got with setting up multilayer SSS, but now I need to start Texturing the Character I actually need to know more about unwrapping then texturing …Please help me.

Oh and any tips on the sss to make it better would help a lot, AAO is on but I am finding the lighting hard to adjust and the sss still seems a little then for my taste, wouldn’t you agree?

You might find the “model and texture a wooden barrel” over at cgcookie.com interesting. After a simple barrel modelling he spends some time unwrapping and texturing the parts. I found this interesting in that he setup a few uv layers that he used to paint variations into the final texture map.

This tutorial is helpful for uv unwrapping.

The typical seams I’ve seen for the head look like a capitol “T” with the top part of the “T” being on the forehead and the “stem” running along the middle of the head, going back over the skull and down to the neck. Hope that helps.

Thanks guys, I’ll take a look at that, isn’t there something wrong with my sss tests?
Or is it becuase I haven’t applied any textures yet, if so I’ll find out tomorrow.
Okay update yo’ll tomorrow.

Applying a texture will directly effect the sss anyway.

I don’t know any tutorials but there have been some excellent threads in the ‘Work In Progress’ forum that were detailed enough to be tutorials all by themselves. perhaps a forum search with ‘lifelike’ or ‘photorealistic’ would turn up some of them. One that I recall used his own face with a digital camera to get skin samples for texturing.

I’m going to aim for realism, which would end up making the character seem boring to those who would see it, because what would be the point in animation, but I would like to make a believable character.I’ve got a few threads and a few book marks to look over in my free time, I have done a few tests but won’t be uploading them until I find a decent result, through the tests there are some things I like about UV mapping and somethings that are just ridiculous, so I’ve been playing with SSS & lighting set ups but like I said when I have the time Ill update yo’ll soon as possible, Please I need more critique for my model its shite in other words.

Okay back to testing, so much fun.