40 HOURS to Render???

Hi, I’m a noob to Blender so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

I’m trying to render this model I made (File: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6LZR8E7BbohRnBiSkpDQ0lyNDA) at 1080p, 500 samples. I’m rendering with a GTX 970M, which is a pretty powerful GPU for today’s standards.

When I go to render, Blender estimates that it will take over 40 HOURS to render the image. 40 hours! Letting the render run for 15 minutes, the estimates seemed accurate… Is this normal?? Could anyone test this on their rig to see what you get?

Please tell me if I’m doing anything wrong. I’m coming from a Solidworks background, where it only takes around 5-10 mins to render most models.

You are not rendering 500 samples. You are rendering 500 x 500 = 250,000 samples as you have enabled the ‘square samples’ option.

stc=1

Not sure I can agree to that. As the “M” indicates, this is a mobile card for notebook use. Which means it is optimized for low power consumption and heat.

You can’t compare mobile cards to their desktop counterparts: They are not even remotely as powerful. And if you have a capable CPU in that machine (Notebook? Some iMac, perhaps?) it is quite possible that it will outperform your 970M.

Sorry, let me reiterate: pretty powerful for a mobile gpu, even though the gaps between mobile and desktop gpus are closing fast.
I can play the new DOOM, which is a really graphics intensive game, at as constant 50-60 fps on ultra settings.

I have an i7-6700HQ (8 thereads). I tested it for renders and it is indeed slower than rendering with the graphics card.

Wow, I wasn’t aware of this. I turned it off and it rendered in under 5 minutes.

Why is this turned on by default? Since it’s just squaring the sample value, I don’t see the point of it.

Nonetheless, thanks a lot for solving my problem!

For comparison, your GPU scored a 10660 on 3d Mark, and mine scored a 9910. 750 point difference. http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+680/review

Isn’t that exactly my point?
My 4 year old desktop card is still faster than your bleeding edge notebook card. So much for gaps closing fast…:wink:
And now imagine what a current desktop GTX 970 can do.

Haha, true. But since the past couple years the gaps have been closing pretty fast. For example, the 970 is about around 50-60% faster than the 970m, but the 970m is almost faster than the desktop 960. Not bad for a laptop card imo.

Totally agree with you, 970 is about 35% much more powerful than 970M.