- 1.25 speed is recommended. 1.5 is also ok.
Edit 2: Again, I’ve been made aware of another tool, GStretch from LoopTools. This is as good as Edge Unbend - multiple options, works with multiple loops at a time, redoable, PLUS comes with Blender.
Edit 1: I’ve been told about Curve Stretch from Mira Tools, and I tested it. The result is the same as Edge Unbend(Unbend mode). It’s added to the list below. Quick explanation of how it works:
Call the operator - Curve Stretch
Scroll Mouse wheel all the way down - Value = 2
LMB or Enter
RMB to confirm
When I transitioned from 3ds Max to Blender a couple months ago, one of the first things I searched for was a Straighten tool, only to find out that there wasn’t (still isn’t) a dedicated operator for that. After a long time of asking in forums, groups; doing my own research, and a few happy accidents, I’ve found 5 ways to straighten edges in Blender.
- Edge Unbend - 0:14 - an operator in Align Tools in CTools by Chromoly. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OePppEPYWtkoZZg_GnaUOPLsTnlmLYVR/view?usp=sharing
- Line Up - 2:55 - from Zaloopok addon. https://www.blendernation.com/2016/06/15/addon-zaloopok/
- Vertex Align - 4:39 - from Vertex Tools. http://samoloty.wjaworski.pl/downloads/scripts/25/mesh-vertex-tools.zip
- Relax - 6:15 - from LoopTools (built-in).
- Zero Scaling on Custom Orientation - 8:05 - Manual way to straighten.
6 . Curve Strech - from Mira Tools.
- GStretch - from LoopTools - (built-in) - I think this is just as good as Edge Unbend, plus it comes with Blender.
- Thanks to the authors of the addons for sharing them with us for free.
_ Sorry for the crap audio. I will get a better mic as I get more into making videos. Also, I’m pretty shy and English is my second language, but hopefully you can understand what I’m saying in the video.
_ My Interface and hotkeys are probably vastly different from yours, but you should be able to find the operators with the Search Menu. I also highly recommend customizing your own interface and hotkeys. I’m thinking about making a video on how to customize the interface and hotkeys in Blender. Let me know if you would like to see that.
_ This is not necessarily a “tutorial”. More like sharing with you the options available.
_ If you have a different solution for straightening edges, please let me know.