5700 XT and Blender

Ello~

So I’m having something of a dilemma - I currently have no GPU as my previous GTX 570 finally died, and hoping to either get a 5700 XT or a 2070 Super. Ideally I would love to go AMD as I have acquired a strong dislike for Nvidia in wake of their growing price-gouging trend over the last few years.

The gaming performance is certainly acceptable and the pricing is MUCH more agreeable to me, however, I have seen only one blender benchmark for the 5700 XT and it was not good…(specifically LinusTechTip’s review of the 5700 XT, in which it appeared to be up to 50% slower than the 2070 Super in Blender renders) Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bmQPx9EJLA&feature=youtu.be&t=438
This review also came out before the official 2.8 release, so I can’t help but wonder if that has improved anything.

So my question is - how much is the 5700 XT likely to catch the 2070 Super with future drivers and updates, if at all? Obviously I know people can’t see the future, but I’m hoping there’s someone here with sufficient experience & knowledge to make an educated guess.

I need to ask as simply waiting to see is really not ideal, as I have been without a GPU for several months now and reaching the end of my tether. On top of that, the aftermarket 5700 XTs are just starting to roll out and I really don’t to end up getting caught in stocking issues and/or rising prices later down the line.

Anyway, any and all advice/insight is highly appreciated~

Go with nvidia, AMD is out of the question for working in 3d.

1 Like

I would go for Nvidia, even though I understand what you wrote about pricing policies etc.
Right now it’s a safer bet for most CG apps and tasks. High performance, broader compatibility with 3d apps and render engines and usually good to go out of the box in terms of support, drivers etc.
So, imo, play safe with this choice. The 2070 Super is a well performing gpu, very close to the 2080. If you can afford it, go for it.

1 Like

This have more updated benchmarks:

For the price, i would go AMD, since fixes for launch problems are getting in, but If you value your time and need your work done, go the nvidia route. Be aware tho that nvidia Super cards are quite sensible to voltage changes. My RTX2600 Super tends to fail quite often than my older R9 390X card. I had to buy an UPS to stabilize things. YMMV.

3 Likes

Ah, thanks!
Yeah, seems those benchmarks are more or less the same as LTT’s…
It’s weird to me how the Nvidia cards appear about 2x the speed of the AMDs in less complex scenes, and the gap closes in more complex scenes…I would have thought the opposite would be true? But then I know nothing about the more technical side of graphics tech and rendering.

I think I may just have to go with the 2070 Super then…most of the projects I do are less complex scenes with many frames, and it looks like the 5700 XT is not ideal for that at all. I can afford it, but it does sting - both in terms of sheer price and in that I’d much rather give my money to AMD than Nvidia at this point. -_-

Anyway, thanks all for the input~ <3

You beet me to the punch with that link :smiley:

one thing about RTX cards, the Optix will provide a very good/significant boost, which dont’ think is used with the current set of benchmarks Techgage ran.

NVIDIA told me it’d let me know as soon as RTX is in a nightly so I can get to testing :wink:

Thanks for reading!

2 Likes

Slightly cheaper price is irrelevant, It’s investment for work and nvidia gpu going to pay over it self by being faster(time is money) and having better support not just in Blender but other packages like Substance.

It’s not “slightly” cheaper where I am though (UK), where 2070 Supers can easily be £120-£150 (that’s GBP) more than the 5700 XT custom cards.

It is when you count in how many hours it will save you in long run to the point where AMD card gets more expensive for nothing.

2 Likes

Blenders own testing. still special builds, but are available for download :slight_smile:

https://blender.community/c/graphicall/Cfbbbc/

1 Like

Though my current setup is 3 Vega cards (with one more that’s waiting for a water block) I can agree that RTX rendering is impressive, no doubt about it.

Yeah… Nvidia looks very good and the all that RTX thing. Nvidia also released 10 bit color support in openGL programs for non-quadro cards. I have bought Radeon VII, kinda deceived by the 16 GB HBM2 it has, unfortunately, I guess.
However, according to Optimum tech’s review of Radeon VII on Youtube, it seems much better than Techgage’s.
Should run benchmarks on my own.