7 day water fast **UPDATED**

Exactly. Especially if you realize that our metabolism is still the same as that of our cavemen/hunter-gatherer ancestors. You just don’t hunt successfully every day and nuts and berries also don’t regrow that quickly. That’s why involuntary fasting is simply part of our biological program. And that’s also why our bodies place every ounce of spillover nutrients into stock (= fat), because they never know when the next meal will be available.

Granted, the better supply of food we have today led to a larger life expectancy compared to stone age, but we have now reached a point where the excessive supply of food makes us sick. Large parts of the population are overweight and circulatory diseases (including heart disease and stroke) have become the most common cause of death in the western world.

Fasting is not some weird experimental diet - it’s going back to our roots.

It’s a dumb idea to drink only water for many days. Where will your body get protein, minerals and vitamins it needs to sustain itself?

The human body is not as fragile as you seem to think.
Some physicians reckon that an average human can survive up to 60 days without food. Therapeutic fasting for one or two weeks should cause no issues at all.

Obviously if you come from a life eating shit every day, the body will be relief in those 7 days. But it also it will if you start having a healthier life without going to extremes.
The problem with all this is that will not be just 7 days in many people (you google “water fast”). Many people tending to fall into eating disorders will think: if people are saying that this is so good, why not do it more often? Why not a lifetime? And what if one day I had the pleasure of eating and then vomiting to not break the rule? And we know what happens:

Attachments

Oh, come on. Seriously? It’s not allowed to talk about therapeutic fasting because very few people with mental issues don’t know when to stop? What’s next: Should we ban talking about computer games and movies because some people don’t know the difference between fiction and reality and start to run amok?

This whole thread is about fasting for a very limited amount of time (and medical supervision).
Please stop insinuating that this thread is promoting eating disorders.

Again, you google “water fast”. People start talking about only 7 days for a detox diet, but the reality is that people are using this to lose weight and not only for 7 days.

For the record: The only one that keeps talking about excessive eating behaviour in this thread is you.

Do you try to look like some sort of moderator thread? luckily we are in Off-topic Chat in a 3D software forum.
For the record: I’ll keep talking about the problems that can bring with it this kind of extreme practices, and the real and dangerous use that people are giving to this practice.

Here I will continue misrepresenting the thread (to get the point):
/uploads/default/original/4X/0/b/7/0b7943d8e140760cc58d0b95badb7b54e3176329.jpgstc=1

Those malnourished children are alive for now, that is, the human body is very strong. But being alive is not synonymous with health.

Attachments

Given that you’ve described yourself as slender and sickly, I would think it unlikely that you’ll receive any benefit from the fasting and imagine that stressing an already “frail” body would be unwise. As your link shows, it might cause a positive change, but it may also trigger something you’d rather not surface or gain strength. We’re not our ancestors, after all.

That said, it’s your body and it sounds as though you’ve given it some thought and research. If you’re set on it then I wish you the best. Keep us updated (for science!), and don’t be afraid to back out if you feel like it’s going south.

Again, eating disorders tend to come from emotional stress… NOT FASTING.

Eating disorders can also come from malnutrition … no matter how much food you consume. If your body isn’t getting the nutrients that it needs, it will continue to drive the organism to pursue food.

One of my favorite restaurants in Atlanta, Georgia (USA) is The Saltyard. The maxim for this restaurant is: “small plates,” although they necessarily include a few “huge (American-style) portions” selections. Go there with your significant other, order a couple of interesting-looking dishes, and share them. Eat slowly, with not a cell-phone in sight ;), and enjoy the moment. By the end of the evening, you will not have consumed much food, but you will be satisfied … and you won’t be hungry again for a good while. The dishes are diverse, nutritionally interesting, and made from the highest-quality ingredients. Which makes all the difference in the world.

If you want to permanently lose weight, change your eating practices. Eat better food. Learn how to cook! Turn off the microwave and bypass the frozen-food section. “Circumnavigate the grocery store,” focusing on produce, meats, dairy, and of course, ice cream. :wink: (As in: “ice cream!”) If, while you’re walking slowly (especially) through the produce section, “something ‘jumps out’ at you,” buy one and take it home and learn how to cook it. Your body still has instincts to “recognize foods that it needs on-sight.”

And then: “wait a year.” Over the course of the following year, but not particularly sooner, it will happen. And the weight will not come back. You will not notice progress day-to-day, but, looking back over the course of the year, you’ll see how a permanent difference gradually occurred.

You don’t feel better “because you lost all that weight,” but rather, “because you now eat better.” You subsequently “lost all that weight” because you’re eating better, and because your body adjusted accordingly.

If, mid-morning, “you suddenly get ‘the munchies’” and go to a vending-machine for a sugar-laden snack … you’re malnourished. (And that sugar-shock is gonna play hell with your pancreas, because Nature is generally not a “sweet” place.) Cook and eat a good breakfast. (It’s the most important meal of the day.)

There’s a reason why cookbooks are still the most-popular books in any store. Learn how to cook simple dishes from scratch, following a recipe.

Just for fun (and, “just to learn”), I actually spent a couple months last year washing dishes in a restaurant that was a favorite dining spot. I wanted to see what was going on from the inside. I was perfectly up-front with the kitchen manager that this is what I wanted to do, and in my turn “I washed the hell out of those dishes.” :slight_smile: But I kept my eyes open and learned a lot. (I also started tipping a lot more!)

Is OP dead yet?

Maybe.
Or they may have found some other community to look for support/hostility from.

Long short of it,

Stop being stupid and get a proper diet.

This is literally the health equivalent of modelling in blender using only the manipulator in vertex select mode and maybe the extrude tool to create new shapes

It’s unnecessary, there are better, less stressful ways to go about this

DCBloodHound - Lol, not quite yet. Still have only lost about 5 pounds(which is not the goal), so I’m far from the starving Ethiopian level.

sundialsvc4 - You bring up a lot of good points. Before I began this fast I changed over to a ketogenic diet(very little carbs) so I know all about the sugar thing. Our ancestors did not sit around eating honey all day, and if they ate any at all it was probably worked off in a short amount of time.

fdxd - How can you know if I’m being stupid or not? Like some have said the science is not in yet on this subject, so it is still a question mark then, no? Myself and others have also mention supposed benefits. Believe it or not the lumps in my lymph nodes have gone down and my breathing is better. I feel fine. Not eating is not as hard as it would seem, in fact I would say it’s easier than quitting smoking, which is pretty crazy. I think this is something animals were made to endure. Why is it that I need to eat all the time? Mountain lions and other predator species seem to do okay.

IkariShinji - very good points.

YAFU - I hope you would be as diligent in pointing out the problem of agoraphobia whenever you hear a story about someone taking shelter in their house during a hurricane. After all those kinds of problems come with that :smiley:

Starvation is not the same thing as an eating disorder. An eating disorder is the result of something other than lack or abundance of food; like emotional stress. There is a huge difference in refusing to eat and not having anything to eat. The latter is perfectly understandable and the former is dysfunction.

In most cases, those suffering from bulimia nervosa and anorexia nervosa see themselves as being over weight. They honestly can’t see the issue. Where overeating is concerned, it’s usually to replace positive interaction with others. It often stems from not getting enough attention as a child. It could also be a physical illness as well; like a thyroid issue or even a lower brain issue. Perception can be a part of it too. For instance someone who has been extremely poor might over eat after an improvement in their financial situation. Of course financial issues often result in mental issue as well.

I don’t know why people have such a negative attitude about fasting. Some of the most healthy and long lived people fast. The notion that it is inherently destructive is demonstrably false.

Because we are in 2016 and is scientifically proven since long time that there are essential nutrients that the human body does not produce and need to be incorporated with food. Because since a long time it is known about diseases that deficiencies of minerals and vitamins cause if they are not incorporated into the diet. Because in reality does not exist “fasting” as such. If you do not ingest food trought the mouth, it does not mean that your body is not eating. In fact you’re eating, your body is eating itself.
Also because as I have been saying, you have to be blind to not want to see the real and dangerous usage that people gives to these stupid fasts.
Because people can even find stupid plus to this dangerous habits, like “not having to buy food”… Yeah, how serious is that?

Let fasting to fanatics religious of antiquity who used it to punish themselves.
You better change shitty McDonald’s diet and start eating healthily.

Yes it’s the current year…we know. Nutrient are essential, but 5 -7 days isn’t really that long dude. How long a period is it safe to stop eating then, 2 hours, 8 hours? People can go weeks without vitamin C and still not get scurvy(not that that’s good), but you get the point. Under your logic I should be constantly eating. That’s like over watering a plant, eventually it will die. Since you want to be Mr. Science, show us a link to a study that demonstrates fasting is unhealthy. You make the claim so the burden of proof is on you.

As for not having to buy food; I said it was a “plus”, not the main reason. And it is a plus, are you arguing that saving money is a bad thing?

Just because religious fanatics do something does not mean that it is bad or has no utility. Giving to charity and punishing murderers are something religious fanatics do as well. You really have no argument.

hi guys, couple of things to bear in mind, eating healthy, i.e sourcing raw single ingredient items instead of process products, is ideal, but you also have to account for intense farming and petrochemical fertilizers, foods grown today do not contain the nutrients they did 50 years ago. When you eat your body seeks those nutrients, if the food doesn’t provide them you over eat and suffer malnutrition while gaining weight. Also we have been herded away from consuming salt, table salt is bad ok, but sea salt, rock salt is necessary for a huge range of body functions, table salt contains next to no iodine, most of it evaporates as you open the container. Look up boron and how it enables the body to process and assign calcium and magnesium, borax cheap as shit and 99% boron, less than a cent a day.

Main take away: ensure you are getting all the nutrients your body needs, fasting may allow your organs a chance to rest and heal, but use logic and be safe,

I don’t consider opinions and I don’t throw them around. Look at the citations that I provided in one of my early comments and provide your own or stop trying to school me on science.

(EDIT) Dogma is not your friend.