74 Guns | Ship of the Line

I think an instructional video dedicated to how you make and use your matrix would be very helpful to many people. I’ve watched the videos you’ve suggested and read your explanations, but I still don’t understand how you make it . If you have time to make a video detailing how you make your matrix and what kinds of things it is useful for controlling, I think that would help a lot of people. Thanks for offering.

1 Like

hi Mark;

I have a full course online that you might be interested in. It goes through pretty much everything you need to know about rigging vehicles so you should be able to cross-use that information with the ship. I don’t go particularly indepth about matrixes like I’ve used in this thread but I’m fairly confident you should be able to create your own with the same information. Udemy are always holding sales but I can give a Coupon code if it’s easier (you shouldn’t need to pay more than £15.)

I was wondering whether it would’ve been worth creating a course specifically on this ship because it utilises tons of different tools within Blender.

As for the matrix itself; it interacts with other elements in an overall armature rig but I guess I could talk basically about how it works, design choices, that kind of thing if that’s what you’re interested in?

1 Like

I’m very intrigued by your matrix - I’ve never seen something like that used before and it’s the most unique feature of this thread. I’m not even sure what things compose your matrix, how it connects to objects in your project, or what uses you have found for it.

My personal choice would not be for a big tutorial on the whole ship. I prefer short tutorials on specific topics. If you were to make a targeted tutorial, my vote would be for your matrix and its many uses.

2 Likes

I haven’t been around for a while. Glad I refound this thread. I’m looking forward to watching your rebuild.

I remember you helped me to learn how to make controls for moving model parts. I think that’s the last thing I did with Blender before taking some time out. I’m all crusty now. :slight_smile:

This. :smiley:

Okay. Attempt three has formally started. There seems to be some interest for a build log so I figured I’ll post a link for it here: 74 Gun Ship of the Line - Build Log 1

Mark - I’m not sure if I’d be able to post targetted tutorials for the matrix as it’s quite intricate and detailed. I’d be better off creating a demonstration video. I’ll see what I can do as this one progresses.

For the build itself, I’ve simply concentrated on trying to get the hull shape correct and the planking down before I moved on cos it gets a lot harder to correct as time goes on. I’m happy enough with the progress I’ve made on it so far (doesn’t look like much right now but I’d say it’s probably the hardest part trying to get this started again.)

I’m hoping to move onto the floors again and possibly fit the Quarter Galleries. I couldn’t get the plans to work so I’ll probably just approximate it.

2 Likes

Okay, pretty much back up to with where I was with “attempt 2.” Got the gun-ports in there and generally happier with the shape and workflows.

2 Likes

Some progress!

I’ve forgotten how to change the leading image. Could someone remind me if they’re reading?

3 Likes

Go the the post that contains the image that you want and click the edit icon (pencil), copy the line of code that inserts the image in the post, and then cancel the edit. Go to the first post and click the edit icon, paste the copied code over the code that’s already there (the old image) and Save Edit.

I’m very sure there was another way that didn’t require the latest image to be in the first post, but alas your method works. Thanks for your help!

There was the option to select the image to use as thumbnail for a while, but appears to have gone now.

A small update. I’ve added some fencelines and further tweaked the hull. Added the rudder and adjusted the shape in places.

Progress indeed a little on the slow end but working on some fresh projects!

2 Likes

I’ve completed the fencing on the forecastle, quarterdeck and poop deck. Pretty much ready to start tackling some of the bigger tasks such as the bow or quarter galleries.

4 Likes

did you find how to draw the front and back part of the ship?

i mean the exact shape / radius function of height !

happy bl

What do you mean?

back and front have a very specific shape
did you find good references on how to draw these parts ?

happy bl

I’m still not quite sure what you’re asking? I’m using a mixture of references and blueprints to get the shape of the ship down and will continue to do that for the bow and stern.

Significant progress with the bow. I’ve installed the railings, completed the pillars, added the gratings and the side cat ears. It’s definitely a rough part of the ship to complete with all those curves!

8 Likes

Build log? I believe there were no logs used yet for this. But it is already obvious it’ll be a winner!

:grin:
Thank you! I’m enjoying working on this ship and it’s probably one of my favourite projects.

Been a bit busry for the past week or so but I’m hoping to share more updates with it soon.

1 Like