8 sculpts based on great retro games Art Covers

Hi guys!
This is a series of sculpts based on some legendary covers of spanish games from the late 80s (the 8 bits times).
7 of them was made by the great Alfonso Azpiri, and the other one was made by the great Juan Gimenez, two extraordinary artists who illustrated many game covers (plus many other things).

I have tried to honor not only the covers and their authors, but also the games themselves and the time in which they were created.
In some of them there are details that make references to the comic (from the same author) on which the game was based, details of the game itself, the cassette tapes (original cassetes and the ones that your friend from school recorded on his double deck radio)…the 80s!!! XDD

I started this idea some time ago, the “Army Moves” and “Meganova” models were created in Maya and Zbrush (only the sculpts)…
But for years I wanted to establish myself in Blender and Open Source world definitively, so one day I made the switch, burn the system, grab a Linux Distro (PopOS in my case after tested some anothers) and started learn Blender, Linux, Krita, etc… (I used Blender many years ago for a short time, I laughed when I saw some very old posts here that didnt remember)
So for me it has been worth it, it is like finally arriving home…so THANKS to Ton and all the people behind Blender and all the Open Source Software…

-All aspects made in Blender (the first 2 projects were ported and finalized in Blender, the other 6 are pure Blender children)
-Texturing in Blender + Krita
-Renders and Viewports in EEVEE
-Some aditional effects made in Natron (like the animated panels in Lorna project)
-OS Linux

my ARTSTATION: https://www.artstation.com/nachosanchez

So I hope you like it…

[1/8]
ARMY MOVES (1986) Original Cover by Alfonso Azpiri, Game / In-Game Refs by Dinamic.

[2/8]
MEGANOVA (1988) Original Cover by Alfonso Azpiri, Game / In-Game Refs by Dinamic.

[3/8]
MAD MIX GAME (1988) Original Cover by Alfonso Azpiri, Game by Topo Soft.

[4/8]
WEST BANK (1985) Original Cover by Alfonso Azpiri, Game / In-Game Refs by Dinamic.

[5/8]
MOT (1989) Original Cover / ArtWork by Alfonso Azpiri, Game by Opera Soft.

[6/8]
LIVINGSTONE SUPONGO II (1989) Original Cover by Juan Giménez, Game / In-Game Refs by Opera Soft.

[7/8]
PHANTIS (1987) Original Cover / ArtWork by Alfonso Azpiri, Game / In-Game Refs by Dinamic.
In UK this game was known as “Game Over 2”…

[8/8]
LORNA (1990) Original Cover / ArtWork by Alfonso Azpiri, Game by Topo Soft.

42 Likes

some more images…

30 Likes

Put one of them as square images as first picture of the original post, whatever is uploaded first is what appears in your portfolio and on Instagram in case you get featured

ok, thanks!

more images from ARMY MOVES

The 1Âş phase of the game was about a Jeep jumping and firing between broken bridges

5 Likes

more from MEGANOVA

When you finish the game, you get home, and you go for a drive in the car, that was the final scene of the game

7 Likes

more images from MAD MIX GAME

4 Likes

more images from LIVINGSTONE SUPONGO II

in this last image, there is the number 15215 engraved on the leather, this was the code for the 2Âş phase of the game, I like to include easter eggs like this in many places

7 Likes

more images from WEST BANK

As you can see, if I can, I include details from the game itself, and generally I take the spectrum version as reference for modeling, and the amstrad version for color (or a mix of both of them)

5 Likes

more images from MOT

The back is a detail from the comic on which the game is based, from the same author

6 Likes

more images from PHANTIS

Not all the “little monsters heads” are there, because the cover has a perspective that I cannot reproduce on a 360º base, so I made a different distribution with some of them, but they are on the original cover

The back part is made up of game elements, some are active elements of the game, and others, like the flower and the cave, are static elements (the cave gave you access to the next part of the game), the “dinosaur” was the mount (like a horse) that you used in the water phase and is a mix of the original sprite (below) and a conceptual drawing by the same author as the cover (above)

6 Likes

more images from LORNA

Here again, the robots are not in the Original Cover, but same as in MOT, there are very important characters from the comic on which the game is based (always from the same author)

6 Likes

and finally the original art covers on which they are based

From the great Alfonso Azpiri:

From the great Juan Giménez:

6 Likes

really nice work on every one of them! :slight_smile: modelling, texturing, everything is great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

many thanks KDLynch!

1 Like

Amazing work!

1 Like

Thanks bhibb!!

So big fantastic work!:heart_eyes::fire:

1 Like

Would love to see WIP progress shots of how those came together, or timelapses of these or future sculpts. Mesmerizing amounts of loving detail!

thanks vakukulkan!