80s Gaming Device

For one of my final projects from USW, I was tasked with selecting a prompt and interpreting it In my own way.

So I chose the prompt 80s Gaming Device and made a virtual reality headset inspired by 80s technology and games consoles.

And because I want to work in the games industry I made decisions to render the project in a games engine and make certain design decisions to help the optimization of the asset.

Background assets sourced from Bridge
Character sourced from mixamo

Full breakdown on my Artstation:
https://thomasmoreton.artstation.com/

Modeled and UVmapped in Blender
Textures made in substance 3D painter
Rendered and materials made in UE5

6 Likes

First off, I absolutely love the gunk in the visor slats. I buy a lot of old stuff and secondhand stuff, and the issue of slats there to look cool or maybe even serve some purpose that inevitably collect dust and crud that solidifies in and becomes nigh unto impossible to get out… is real.

Any tips or pointers, or just clever ideas you’d like to gloat about, on your strap fabric material? I’ve got a model I’ve been working on that has the same sort of woven strap on it. After a few passes at it, I’d gotten something I’m pretty happy with using a procedural texture-- primarily driven by Wave textures alternated using a Checker texture, but I’d love to hear how someone else approached it, especially seeing as it’s a vital component in yours.

1 Like

Hey!

Apologies for the slow reply and many thanks for taking an interest in my work!

Well I uv mapped the headset, and didvide up my mesh into texture sets and started making 1024 texture maps for them in substance painter. I really can’t tell you how useful substance painter is for making your own materials and I have used it for all of my projects.
The way I did the fabric on the headstrap was I used a basic fabric preset material in substance and adjusted, added, edited and modified it until it fit the look I was going for.
And for the stitching across each side I used a spline that not only created a good stitching texture but also some really nice normal information around the stitching.
And that’s basically how I did it.
Aswell as some high to low baking in the process too

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like