99* Days of Blender

Day 35 (Part 1?) - Modeling Practice

(Light test/matcap)

Based on this work by Marcel Hampel:

I do plan on doing the other two lanterns, possibly today, and I do plan on texturing this, hopefully today, right now it feels good just to have it modeled. And check out this nice clean quad topology (the icosphere doesn’t count):

I’m going to try and texture this in the painterly style you saw yesterday on my building. My inability to paint backgrounds is annoying, but real (see yesterday’s entry in my other sketchbook), so it will remain unbackgrounded. Shut up Grammarly, that is a word!

Why did I pick this reference image?

Marcel Hampel is a master of shape language- using combinations of simple shapes to create remarkable results. Knowing his process of starting with extremely simple shapes, I did the same thing here- started with the most basic possible shapes, and then refined by layers. This isn’t a new process for me, but it’s always good to practice.

What did I learn today?

Recently, inspired by @piranha4D , I’ve been using the bevel modifier more. I’m proud to say that there’s not one single subdiv modifier anywhere on here - it’s all bevels. It’s a different workflow for sure, but I like it.

Music

I’m currently on my third playthrough of the FFVIIR OST in three days. I’m once again listening to One-Winged Angel (Rebirth) while writing this post, and if I had a nickel for each time that’s happened recently, I’d have two nickels. That’s not a lot, but it’s still interesting.

4 Likes