A basic math question

Math is the software of the universe.

This is not really a geometry-nodes question, I just figured the people best at math can be found with this tag.

I suck at math. I have run away from projects and job opportunities because of how much I suck at math.

I really really suck at basic equations.

Today I have a migraine trying to figure out this question without consulting google or Ai.

I want to microwave some fancy ramen noodles.
The instructions are for a 1,100 watt microwave. Micrwoave it for 3 minutes.

I have a 900 watt microwave. Assuming that it’s a good idea that a weaker microwave needs to run for a longer time, how much time should I run my 900 watt microwave to get the equivalent amount of nodle cooking that I would get from a 1,100 watt microwave in 3 minutes.

Hi

A watt is a Joule per second… so you want to use the same amount of joules.

So to convert watts to joules you have to multiply by the seconds.

1100J/s * (3 * 60)s = 198 000 J.

Now to get back to seconds from Joules you have to divide by watts. (inverts the units also s/J)

198 000 J / 900J/s = 220s = 3m 40s

Another way to do this is to get the ratio between the power ratings and adjust by that.

1100/900 * 3m = 3m 40s (~3.6666m = 3m 0.6666*60s = 3m 40s)

Hope that helped?

If Stephen Wolfram is to be believed.

How am I different?

9 Likes

You are not artificial and give correct answers… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Maybe even simpler (to remember in the future without the additional physics :wink: ):

You have just 900 from the needed 1100 Watt… so it is by a factor of 900/1100 less powerfull…

this also means you need the reverse factor 1100/900 more time to meet the wanted energy…

…and that’s it.

( okay minutes multiplied by 60 to get the second…)
1 Like

I can come back here more than 48 hours later and you or anyone who reads the previous posts can continue where we left off for free. Also it still takes a human to recognize which kind of stupid another human might be. That offers the potential of a level of creativity in helping the stupid human recognize something. Ai gives either the “best” or the most popular answer. A human would recognize another human might need a silly example directly related to their life experience and daily routine to have a eureka moment. Ai is going to go with whatever the first 140 pages of google search results said the most often.