A Cargo Transport Future

As a child growing up with sci-fi world concept art, I always wanted to create one for myself. Here’s my latest attempt, featuring a in-the-sky container port, a (partially) wind powered transport ship, and of course, a giant city.

The city was created with OpenStreetMap via the blosm plugin and duplicated around a bunch. I didn’t use the default or actual image textures of buildings from maps and instead textured them myself via simple cube projections of a number of photos of buildings from Unsplash.

I got the idea of glass domes from one of my dreams. I remember the next morning when I recalled that dream I told myself: “I must find a use for those domes somewhere.” Trees and greenery was a followup to that idea. Afterall, what’s the use of glass domes if not to maintain plants? Integrating the greenery with the city was the natural next step.

Most sci-fi art I recall from childhood featured spaceships that served vague objectives, one usually would have to assume space travel or exploration. I wanted to be different, hence incorporating elements we’re familiar with – shipping containers – into the mix to tell a clear story. I got the idea for using sails on the ship from a recent news report on iceboating. The port was the next idea that came to mind and its layout quickly took shape once I figured out how the ship should look like.

Oh, I made a small animation with some behind the scenes.

Hope you enjoyed! Any comments or critique is welcome!

32 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Thanks Bart!

amazing piece of work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks man, glad you like it!

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

I love the little camera bump at the end of the video, like wake turbulance. That’s one of those little tweaks that makes it real.
Using outside texures and experimenting with them is one of my tricks that makes a big difference; even adding cloud coat to existing textures helps, sometimes. My procedurals get pretty intricate.
I also like how you made a story around the elements, and how you brought dream visions into it. I do that with my modeling and writing. There’s a whole other life in our dreams, my friend. You’re lucky enough to recall them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Imaginative!

1 Like

Wohoo, thanks Bart!

1 Like

I’m glad you’re a fan! I was very fortunate to wake up with that dream fully intact; and yes, outside textures can come very handy :wink: