A farm

Hey and welcome to my farm! :farmer: :woman_farmer: :man_farmer: :cow: :cowboy_hat_face:

There’s a field with carrots and pumpkin gurden beds

What a farm without a tractor, sunflowers and cows?

Cows are drinking water and eating barley

A farmer house

All renders are made in Eevee with 3840*2160 resolution

Sampling:
Render - 1000
Viewport - 1000

8 Likes

Cool ! I especially like the first one ! All that complexity in that simple style works really well here !

Are you sure you really need 1000 samples btw ? In Eevee around 64 is already a lot and can work in most of the cases.

Congrats !

2 Likes

Thanks, Sozap!

Nope :stuck_out_tongue: Frankly, I wasn’t sure whether I needed to leave it 64 for both render & viewport parameters or increase it up to 1000. However, I decided to stay on 1000 because it didn’t take me a long time to get a final render.

P.S. Shame on me, but after almost 1.5 years being with Blender I still didn’t completely get what’s those values is about and how it affects on final render :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Hahaha don’t worry it’s not uncommon to miss a basic information after some years of practice !

You might have seen that cycles render’s tend to be more or less noisy when you don’t activate denoising ?

How cycles works is similar to how light bounces in real life,
You’ll probably know that we see because lights emits photons that are bouncing all over the place and part of them ends up in our eyes . And in fact we constantly receive an insane amount of photons in order for that to work ?

Cycles kinda work the same : it shoots rays that bounce all over the place and allow to find the color of a pixel. but since a ray/photon can bounce in many directions calculating only one ray per pixel isn’t enough and that’s why the render is noisy. I’m not sure that explanation makes sense :smiley:

But the idea is that cycles will shoot one ray per pixel, for all pixel of the images, and that will correspond to one sample. Then this is repeated and averaged a lot of time ( cycles renders needs like 250 → 4000 samples) until you end up with an average of the colors of the pixels.
That way each samples allows to reduce noise little by little.

That’s how cycles works and why you need a lot of samples…

Now with Eevee it works a bit differently, since it doesn’t really shots rays.
By default eevee tends to produce noise-free images,
This is a eevee render with 1 samples :

You see that the edges is aliased, the AO is noisy and the shadow is sharp.

This is with two samples :

You see that in order to get soft shadows, each sample the light is rotated a little, and that ends up being averaged with more samples.

This is with 8 samples :

We still see all these artifacts but they have mostly disappeared

32 samples :

AO and edges are OK, but since I have a very soft shadow we still see some stuff here.
That said , If I had a texture on that floor with details I’m not sure these shadows errors would be noticable.

100 samples :

200 :

1000 :

For sure at 1000 the shadow get completely smoothed out, I can probably use better settings too.

It’s ok to use 1000 samples in the end, at least you are pretty sure to get a clean result no matter what.
If you start doing animation you might want to optimize renders so they get as fast as possible, then having a good understanding of all that will probably be very helpful !

Have fun !

3 Likes

Hey, Sozap!

First of all, thank you for such an extensive answer. Finally I realized what’s renders/viewports values is about. Believe or not, but I couldn’t find the answer whether I’ve been searching on YouTube or just surfing the internet. Thanks once again!

Yeah, I know that without activating denoising feature, the final render looks noisy, but, in some cases, sometimes I decide to left a bit noise just because it’s fits to the scene. By the way, in this my work I have cleaned the noise, but here you can see the variant with it (you may see it if you look closely at the snow), which is, in my opinion, looks better:

Thanks, have a good day!

2 Likes

Hello !

Yeah cool ! Indeed having some noise make things more natural.
What artists generally do is to work on a fully denoised render and as a last step add a film grain filter or image on top of their render.

This allows to have better grain, and also to post process the image more easily, if you want to blur some part to remove something, or add a lot of contrast, cycles grain can get quickly in the way.

But whatever works is good !

1 Like

Nice render BTW ! Keep them coming !

1 Like

Hello!

Thanks, Sozap! Much appreciate it! :slightly_smiling_face:

Btw, I make it a habit to capture every step while developing my project. That means, when I bring something new into my scene — I make the render of it. Thus that helps me to rewind every moment of my work if for some reasons I forgot something. Here’s an example of my farm project which consists of 41 render images.

3 Likes

Cool ! that’s quite interesting to look at the creative process !

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Bart!

It motivates me to keep going and know the fact that there’s nothing impossible!

2 Likes