A flaming torch

Hi. I’d like to show you my sfort animation. The torch was rendered in Cycles, flame in Blender Render. Background was made with Inkscape and GIMP. Music was made by me.

4 Likes

Very nice details.
Really cool model!

Yeah very good details indeed, structure and dust on it, fire good too. :slight_smile:
Domain something like 64 and high res smoke at 2?

Awesome detail and metal material! :slight_smile: The fire looks like its large scale though, somehow I can’t put my finger on what makes it look that way. :slight_smile: Anyways great job and great use of DOF!

That’s a beautiful little animation, but I do have one question.

You say that the background was made with Inkscape and the Gimp, right? What did you use inkscape for? all I see is a colour and a vignette.

great job
but that’s one very smoooooookey torch :slight_smile:

Very good model! Yes, the fire give also to me a impression of some kind of “scaled down”.
It’s possible to see a wireframe of the torch? Curious about the voronoi like details on the surface… :slight_smile:

As said before, it looks like the torch is like 5 m tall because of the fire. Other than this, I like it. :slight_smile:
Well modeled.

Great model, great sound, great textures, great fire. :slight_smile:
I also think that the fire looks a little too large for a small torch.

THAT’s something I’m curious about too! :eek: I really would like to know how you did that. Are the voronoi like details part of the mesh or part of the texture?

That aside, great work!

-theAlmightyF

Thank you all for all your comments :slight_smile:

70 and 3 :slight_smile:

Yeah, I know what you mean, fire simulation is a bit tricky.

I made the fire probably a bit too tall. But torches in middle ages were probably quite smoky too. At least this guy claims that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZqbGME5HY
:slight_smile:

I used voronoi texture as a bump map mixed with cloud textures and painted image for scratches. Here’s the wire frame:

I used GIMP for noise only and Inkscape for gradient. I prefer vector program because you can easily change colors, shape, scale and rotation of the gradient. Also you can add multiple steps. It’s faster to experiment this way in my opinion.

Ahh…thanks for the reply, I was just curious. Beautiful work.

Very impressive.