a good laptop for blender? ( mac )

i have two questions are laptops good for blender ( and animation, compsitting,video editing) and what would be the specs that i would look for? cuz i wana get a mac laptop

For a mac, i would get a MacBook Pro its got a good graphics card, but the only problem is the cost. All macs are expensive.

I’ve had a chance to use a Macbook (not Macbook Pro) with Blender, and they’re not that bad. The graphics card wasn’t a huge issue for me, though I wouldn’t recommend the model I used for gaming. You’ll probably want to get a separate mouse, as well, since most (if not all) Macs are one-button.

does any of the macbooks/pro have a full sized keyboard? blending without a real mouse and a full sized keyboard is pretty painful.

Nope not even the 17" macbook pro has a fullsize keyboard. Probably the best thing to do is just buy a separate usb numpad - they’re small enough that you can carry them around with you.

Thats strange, isnt it? And have you seen Dell Inspiron 1720? I think its pretty good. You can equip it with good processor and video card. It has got a full sized keyboard. Its a shame, though, that it misses DVI out. Except that it`s damn good laptop.

except they are all using ATI or intel graphics card, which might be a PITA when working with blender. See if you can find a core 2 duo laptop with nvidia graphics, which would perform much bettter.

HPs use nvidia cards and are generally quite good quality. Compaqs look a bit better, but are really just HPs in a different shell, with a few less media controls. Acers are pretty cheap, but may not be as good quality in terms of construction, quality of fans etc.
But here’s an example - not a bad price considering the specs: http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/details.html?artno=PN5CBB&showTechData=true
or something like this from hp with an intel chip: http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/details.html?artno=PN4HAA&showTechData=true
I imagine both of those are a fair amount cheaper than the macbook pro, though you would want to take vista off of them perhaps :wink:

You can get Dell Inspiron 1720 with good nVidia card and Intel Core 2 Duo processor. As I said earlier, only disadvantage of that laptop is no DVI out.

Well, since Josiah is looking for a good Mac laptop for Blender, he only has 2 choices really, either the 15" or the 17" macbook pro.

Is there any specific reason that you need to go for a mac Josiah? What about a standard laptop with a linux distro installed? Your money would go a lot further. The 15" macbook pro is a full USD $2000. For that price you can get an excellent laptop probably with a more powerful processor and a better graphics chipset.

Yeh you can build a system that is quite a bit more powerful than the mac, though even the normal macbooks have a 2ghz dual core, so the processor is one thing you’d have to bump up. I’m not sure if Dell is the best in regards to price though.

but if you are a student then you get the 15% discount so for you $1700. Yes apples are expensive but so are dells and I trust apple more to replace parts than dell.