A Juicy Bunch of Questions

Please answer these questions to get a digital THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU:

1. (Most important) How do I delete an Empty when Blender crashes every time I try to select it?

2. How can I copy an object from one scene to another?

3. (Least important) in some realtime games, there are objects which are obviously just “painted on transparent planes”. This is often used to make trees. How can I do this?

Thank you for any help.

1 you could append everything from your old file into a new one, but not append the empty. however, certain links can mean tha the empty might be appended too. but this is unlikely.

2 i’ve forgotten.

3 it involves making a texture with an alpha (invisible layer) and applying it to a plane which you tell to use alpha for rendering in the paint buttons when in face select mode.

#2 is Ctrl-L->To Scene…

1. I have the same problem. You can select empties using dataselect. Press Shift-F4, then select the empty by name from the dataselect menu (left click, then enter). Now you can delete it.

2. As RipSting said, except if you want to edit only one copy without changing the other, you’ll have to make it local (Ctrl-L).

3. You can find lots of stuff about alpha channels in the forums.

Digital THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Does anybody know how to fix the empty problem? My friend has the same problem.

Pooba

I’ve never encountered this empty bug, it sounds really bad. Try downloading an older version of blender, and deleting the empty with that, and then loading it back into the one that was crashing.

I just answered this. Read the posts more carefully.

1. I have the same problem. You can select empties using dataselect. Press Shift-F4, then select the empty by name from the dataselect menu (left click, then enter). Now you can delete it.

Sorry wiseman, must have missed it :slight_smile:

I just answered this. Read the posts more carefully.
[/quote]

You didn’t answer my question, you said how you could delete the empties. I was wondering if you could stop it from crashing when you selected the empty.

Pooba

Oh, sorry.

No it isn’t possible to fix the problem, only to work around it.

Or you could change your OS. I never had this problem on windows 98, but when I upgraded to ME, this problem appeared. Apperently other people have had trouble with blender on ME too.

People on ME, get off! ME is probably the worst operating system that microsoft came out with.

Pooba

2000, 98, or XP are what you should go with, ME has major problems.

I like xp myself.

I had the same problem with blender some time ago when I would try to select an empty. Here’s what I had to do.

1. Go to Start->Run->type in dxdiag. Hit enter.
  2. When that loads go to the display tab and disable directdraw
    and direct3d
  3. Hit ok and fire up blender. That should work.

The only problem with that is that your games may run alot slower.
But hey, at least it won’t crash while editing. :wink:

Hope that helps. bye.

well,i don’t have problems with empties on blender,but whenever i try painting something with vertex painting then blender crashes.

ps: i’m on windows ME