A-Key opens pie menu with too many options not needed

I am using a recent experimental build of 2.79 and I got some issues with the A-Key that is/was used to select/deselect objects. Now it opens a pie menu with a lot of options that are most of the times not needed see screenshot 1. If I tab in the state shown on the screenshot then I get another pie menu proposing to paint and other actions not really related to the current state… I feel that the A-Key to select and deselect was working like a switch and was efficient… Is it possible to reassign it to the previous behavior?

Search addons for ‘pie’ and deselect any that use A

Well I did, try, but that led to killing other functions… The issue is to return to the ‘old’ A-Key that was a simple switch… on/off… Now with the pie menu one has to think before acting and that kills the flow of actions… i used to A…; A… without having to wonder what am I going to do now…

I understand evolution but in the case of just selecting on and off objects, I feel that a switch is best… I have worked with that setup since a month now and I finally get convinced that it is not efficient.

I maybe wrong…

What ‘experimental’ build are you using ? and why ?

If it’s an addon (which pie menus are in the official 2.79 version), in the addon settings you can disable specific pie menus (in this case just A) while keeping all the other pie menus intact

I was using a built from last week… Thursday I believe. The reason is that I am testing and looking for evolutions between stable and in development releases. Also I was looking for the A-Key changes from a switch to a pie menu if it was just a test or a definite modification. Regarding the A-Key for selecting/deselecting it was fast and did not need to look at the menu to decide what and where to click…

Hi, that pie menu in question is in 2.79b. It has been in blender for a long time. It is not part of any design change for 2.8, it is an optional menu that is shipped along with the basic pie menus. It can be turned off without affecting any of the other pie menus that come with blender.

Here is how you turn it off while keeping every other type:
extra%20pie%20menus

If you want to know what changes they have planned for 2.8, check out this page, or try watching the blender today live streams.

Thank you Zanzio for that info. I get it now…