a lighter

Okay, the BG looks stretched. It’s obviously a photo applied to a plane. If you must have a background, I’d suggest modelling the simple objects. Otherwise, my suggestion would be to have the lighter lying on a piece of smooth velvet, or some similar. Also, if you decide to keep the table edge, I’d turn the reflections down on it a bit - it’s /too/ mirrorlike. Either way, you’re progressing in leaps and bounds!

Tal

Thanks Tal
I will start working on a 3d background for the lighter.

In this latest version the lighter´s tank has for scratses two maps applied to color and specularity. I had about seven on the “gas tank” but those
compined got some strange effects. Few almost unnoticable scratshes
I did in gimp by cloning from a unraytraced image to traytraced image
with star shaped brush.
Render time got to quite long since I had to put raytracingdepth to
maximum on the beer classes, otherwise the rays would have ended
to gray.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9801/28jpg5ib.jpg

I hate to keep doing this, as this is your project and you have a certain vision you have in your head…however, this is what I see:

Artistically, the wallpaper on the wall is /too/ busy. It draws the eye away from the subject of your image - the lighter. Same with the martini glass. If you must have the martini glass in the image, pull it away from the lighter, focus right now bounces between three things, Martini Glass, Lighter, and Wallpaper…this will leave the viewer feeling disoriented and they will lose the impact of the image.

The beer glasses themselves are nice, however it looks like they’re too thick around the lip/rim of the glass…it looks like the walls of the glasses are two or three inches thick. I don’t know if this is because of the modelling or the raytrace. So far the lighter is the /best/ looking thing in the scene and it looks /good/.

I hope this helps you out some. And like I say, if you don’t like the suggestions, just lump 'em :wink:

Tal

Each rendering seems to be an improvement, but that last one is a bit busy looking.

That is one huge lighter. How big is it? Palm size?

Nice work on the lighter texture. The scratches look real. The shape, color, etc… its all good.

Taladan, I made the wallpaper grayscale. There was a second row of
beer glasses behind the first row, hence it appeared that the glasses were too thick.
What comes to eye focusing on other than a lighter, I worked slightly
on that, there is an effect such that saturation lessens the further
the “pixels” are from camera. I did it with z utilies and gimp.

Spin, the size of the lighter, it was way too big, bigger than a palm.
That aspect is now fixed, now compared to martiniclass, beer classes
and shelf it is about the right size.

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/1370/34jpg0vc.jpg

In this one i did sort of photography work. I moved objects, worked
on lighting and on the amount of zoom on the camera.
I would like to know what do you think of the last three images, which
one should i print or work further on. And critiques are very welcome.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/7327/playingaroundjpg1db.jpg