The panel to the left of the 3D view in Blnder was overcrowded, yes, but there’s a lot of buttons and options that seem to be just gone in 2.8 . I mean, I’m sure their functionality will remain, on a keypress, or in search menu that is now on the tilde key, but it’s all a little hidden.
Even from the first panal we’re missing Mirror, Duplicate, Duplicate Linked, Delete, Shade Smooth, Shade Flat, Data Transfer, Data Layout, Undo, Redo, Undo History, Repeat Last and History. With the exception of Data Transfer and Data Layout these are all things that new users will understand and want to know about.
Also, what will happen with the addons that put stuff in this panel? Manual Bastioni LAB and MKH2 Runtime both create they’re own tab here, and they’re not the only ones!
I get that we want to unclutter, but hiding the functionality is not good either.
Yeah a bit too soon. Interface is definitely a WIP.
That said, here are some things you might have missed. Seems like they are trying to move things to more logical locations rather than cram them all in those tabs.
Undo and history is now on a proper Edit menu which will be far more familiar to new people as far as searching for those things.
Smooth and flat shading as moved to the Object Menu.
In Edit Mode the Spin function is moved to a place in the same location with other similar editing actions.
The rest of it, I think you’ll have to wait til they get it sorted. Still seems pretty buggy and there are a lot of great things they are working on to improve modeling. Pretty interesting so far.
I wonder, does this mean that Undo and History are now global? So you no longer have to make sure that your mouse pointer is in the appropriate editor window when using the hotkeys?
Maybe we should look at creating Icons for some of these functions. Shade Smooth, Shade Flat, Duplicate, Duplicate Linked and Delete would all be iconable (though duplicate Linked would be a little harder) and look good in the toolbar.
I wonder how many volunteering seasoned developers (making free py addons) will go the extra mile just for the sake of compatibility with 2.8? I’m afraid that Blender 2.8 pool got lots of kids piss in…