A mouse controled RPG

Hi Ced,

First, you need to be more specific. The questions you are asking and the vocabulary you use are too much related to your own game. That’s just too hard to dive into your issue and help you.
Ex :

My character is also not touching the ground when moving to another room at a lower level.
I know it’s because I apply a constant velocity toward the waypoint

would be (from my understanding) => “How can I move an object using linV and make it follow the floor?”
If that’s the case, I know how to help you. But it just take too much time answering your question like “If you mean that… then do that… but your question can also mean something else… so you can do that… but I don’t have enough informations… please give us more precise informations…”

If you need this kind of help, ask your question in the Support section and specific.
Also, you can post a .blend example and (or) a screenshot giving a visuel on what’s happening.
Then people would be willing to help you the best.

Second, that would be better if you could use a good post layout (Uppercases, indent, bold words, etc…) then people who just scan the WIP section (like me) would read your post.
I use to scan posts, and I don’t read blocks of text. I think that I’m not the only one.

An effective post layout for the current thread would be :

What’s new

• news 1
  • news 2
  • news 3

Issues

• issue 1
  • issue 2
  • issue 3

::::::::::::::::::::::::
Questions
::::::::::::::::::::::::

• How can I …
  • I use that method, is it the best one?
  • I can’t find informations about…

Hope you can help me,
thank you!

If it’s not enough, as I said, use the support section but be sure to be specific.
I am sure you would get more help, you are making a good progress and that would just be a waste of time if you loose motivation and stop working on it.

Hello cray, thank you for your explanations.
The reason I didn’t post a specific thread is that I thought this way people already know the project.

Here is a reformulation of the problems:

Global situation :
3 sensors are connected to my module controller :

• Mouse mouve over any (to use the hitObject property and the hitPosition)
  • Mouse click left button : to analyse the destination and launch the track/move actuators.
    This handles the destination as Ground or Attackable/Takeabke (ennemy/object), we don’t display the yellow diamond in those cases.
  • Collision sensor : To detect when hurting ennemies and launching the simple combat system, removing HP from collision with lava, or picking up objects. This sensor doesn’t search for specific property or material.

Flying character - Facts:
Anyway you got right about my flying character. I use an actuator with linear velocity on Y axis to move it.
I activate it until we collid with a way point (diamond cursor or target like takeable object or monster).

Flying character - Problem :
Moving works well on a flat surface, but not moving on an inclined surface, he is still going forward and not landing.

Collisions of the character - Facts :
The diamond to display the move destination (I called cursor in my scene) has this properties :

• Static
  • Actor
    I use visible = False once we collid with it (and then stop the move actuators).

Collisions of the character - Problem :

The collisions with the diamond are not accurate and work only once for 10 times/collisions.
    Unlike the collisions with the monsters and the potions objects…

I hope I managed to be more clear.

Hi Ced,

> Flying character - Problem I think that [this thread](http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1412556) can help. Especially that section : ------------------------------------------ When I use servo motions, when I move forward my character won't fall. Why? - some answers on the forum : when you move forward and you don't touch the ground then apply a gravity of 9.8. This is not a solution anymore. Check the image below and push the Z button.

http://www.aandria.com/wp-content/images/diary/servomotion_move_z.png

Set Limit to force on the Z axis.
That is all you need.

> Collisions of the character - Problem

It’s a bit hard to tell, but from the video we can think that :

• the object is too little
  • the radius (if using) is too little

If that’s the case, I would suggest that you use a cube to detect collisions with the diamond and use it as collision box.Hope it helps.

Hi,
Thank you for your answer. The servo is a good solution, I’m learning how to use it better but I don’t fly anymore!
My Collision manager is working better too and adding an invisible cube is helping.
But I discovered that the collid object is very often the Level and not the monster or the potion or the waitpoint. I think sometime the player touches many objects at the same time.
I’m investigationg about the sensor object to see if I can solve this last small problem.

Hey simonced,

You are doing an excellent job, and you handled that "criticism/advice" from cray really well. Most impressive. If you would like some help with your "game" let me know. I cant program a lick, however, I am experienced with logic bricks as well as modeling, level design, and story-writing among others.

Let me know,
Terry

Hi Nickadimos,
Thank you for your words. Maybe you have some experience in the lpm texturing? It’s new for me and I would love some tips to do good quality textures for models.
For example I simply used a picture for the spider, that was my first low poly model.
I enjoyed to learn rigging and playing with it :smiley:

@Cray : Thank you for your tips that has been so usefull. Don’t worry, I won’t stop this project. Even low motivation won’t make me stop :wink: And it’s not a loss of time at all as I learn so many things like animation, rigging and low poly modeling. Maybe thanks to this project I will learn more things that in my 2 years of blender use. Moreover I simply feel frustrated a bit the documentation is not more clear. I’m a programmer at work and I’m used to complete documentations and example but I’m sad to say even if Blender is a great software, the documentation is not at the same level. But at the same time I understand it’s a very big work to maintain a consistent documentation, especially when all the efforts are ported on the 2.5 release (that we all expect of course). I’ll just be patient as I know it’s not easy to find information,but I know I’ll get the help and support I need right here :slight_smile:

Moreover, I managed to write the system I wanted for the movements and the collisions with the player.
The collision sensor definitely handles many object colliding at the same time and I simply pass each of these object to the manager (exchange damage, drink a potion or whatever…).

Here is a sample of the advancement so far :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpiedU6Kg2k

Thanks for watching / reading :slight_smile:

I’m glad it helped :slight_smile:

I’m a programmer at work and I’m used to complete documentations and example but I’m sad to say even if Blender is a great software, the documentation is not at the same level.

The thing is that Blender is improving/changing quickly and methods (“the best way to jump”, “the best way to make pathfinding”, “the best way to deal with collisions”) are quickly outdated.
A lot of resources are available but there is no central place to store it.
That’s why an active forum is the best place to learn, in that case.

I guess that we can think that “More docs=Less features” because the number of developers is still limited. They are doing a great job and ideasman42, moguri, cyborg_ar, ben2610 on the forums (sorry if I forgot somebody) give us frequent updates.
Please search “threads started by ideasman42” (advanced search) to see many features available, that are sometimes not documented yet.

Also, the official API documentation is well documented.
It could be better, but it’s already great :wink:

Nice progress so far :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I spent the last days to model a new Character that will be part of the main story.
I discovered while surfing at random on internet.
The character calls Meki and her conceptor is Kouken. He kindly allowed me to use his concept in my project, you can have a look at his work, it’s really nice :

I finished to model Meki, here you go:
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3028/meki06.th.png

I’m riging it at the moment, and I’m almost done, but I don’t manage to figure out how to rig the chains linking the 2 legs. Any idea? Once I’ll do her run cycle, I’ll introduce in the game with many new features (still to be done) and the beginning of the story line.

Thank you for reading.

Wait a moment. Shouldn’t I do the run cycle ? :wink: ;). And looks awesome, but why doesn’t he have hands? And I know a way to rig the chains. Send the .blend in a pm and I’ll do that and then animate. :wink:

Hi micah702,

don’t worry, I don’t forget you, you’ll be busy with the monsters coming :smiley:
I may have to rig character for a job, so I’ll keep Meki (it’s a girl :-D) to train myself at rigging and animation.
But I’ll be busy with my work in the next days or weeks, so I’ll just have few time to model the new monsters, I’ll send them to you.

I’ll go on programming after that.

Stay tuned all, I may update in the end of the week.