A Mysterious Jungle Scene

I think there is something off about it. Please help me to improve it guys.

3 Likes

Not real jungle-lee. But is certainly a night forest scene. Really like the concept. And simplicity. Looks almost like a scene from 'Samurai Jack"

1 Like

Thanks. Been a big fan of samurai jack. I feel good that you find similarity with it.

1 Like

I agree with FXR about the forest feeling, not very much jungle like. However that’s not an issue except if the jungle feeling is important to you. What I noticed is, that your foliage is too uniform. The leaves really show the hexagonal pattern. You might want to use some more variety. Same for the grass, which shows also too much similarity in each strand.
Can’t give further advice, since I don’t really know what you want to achieve. Do you want to go into a realistic direction or do you want to keep the painterly style your image currently has to some extent?

1 Like

I want to have something more realistic.

Für something more realistic, after introducing more variability (as mentioned above), I’d propose to add some translucency to the leaves and to scatter some fur over the deer. Additionally you should vary the intensity over the glowing parts very slightly to give them more structure. Currently they look very uniform. Looking forward to the improvements.

1 Like

Okay … here’s specific advise for general “technical” improvements to your artwork and realism:

• try not having so many areas pitch black. Add some details and some subtile lights.
  • add microdisplacement or particles so you get some bark details in the tree silhouettes (I wohld not do it for all the trees, but for some)
  • add more detail to the leaves, make them translucent.
  • add a texture to the deers antlers emittion. Make the emission stronger a the root and fade it out slightly towards the tips
  • make the antlers much much brighter. Add bloom. They would be a lot more overexposed, if they were the only light source in this scene
  • add camera artefacts, such as noise and (as already mentioned) bloom.
  • try adding a bit of texture to your fog

To give you a more general stylistic feedback:

• I think this would work a lot better as an intentionally stylized scene
  • I would have the deer occupy a larger portion of your image
  • I’m missing some sort of foreground and background … your scene seems to be kind of … mid-ground only
  • your image currently kind of looks unbalanced, because you have a single point of interest, that is off center. I think I’d put the deer at the left of your clearing, so the right portion of your image (that contains more visible detail) can balance it out.
    This way, the clearing and the deer could work as separate points of interest and balance each other our.
  • I’m not a big fan of the glowing eyes tbh…
1 Like

Thanks for your elaborate comment. I shall try my best to improve the image as you guided. Thanks again for your time.

Hey!

in the first place when i saw the picture i thought that the shiny things on the back were fireflies or any sort of magical light going out of the antlers. Apparently those are leaves getting light from the moon or something?

If it is meant to be moonlight and leaves, it feels wrong, there is no reason why it would only lighten there and not the rest. a very dim sun light would make more sense then giving you the foreground proposed by betalars. Bus as he said, working more on the fog and added trees behind the scene could give you the background and make it more complete.

If these are fireflies though, the concept is nice, it would make your deer some spriggan feeling like in Skyrim, and you could put some here and there to create an atmosphere