A personal Project with plans for vfx

Hello everybody,
this is my first post, I hope, I´m doing this right…
This is my first big project in Blender, been working on it for quite some time and now i´ve finished the texturing (all tough that´s been done in substance painter) on this guy or girl. Next step is rigging, where i will need to learn a loooooot and probably will be found asking for help :smiley:
I have learned so much already, so I wanted to share this, maybe someone is interested :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few things that stick out right away.

1. Despite being painted in Substance Painter, there are clearly visible seams in the scales texture in some areas (mainly on the arms).
  2. There seems to be little to no SSS present for materials such as the inner mouth, teeth, and membranes.
  3. There also appears to be little to no glossy shading, the inner mouth area also needs an additional layer of glossy because it is usually wet.

Thanks for the quick assessment!

1. Yup, I created 4 seamless scales Textures and then used a fill layer and different UV-scale settings to paint them on. Unfortunately i couldn’t figure out a good way to blend over the Seams using this method. Its most prominent on his left shoulder. Also I think it has to do with the fact, that in order to get enough detail in just one 4k texture, the whole mesh shares one UV space. To get the most out of it, the wings and Legs share UVs with their counterpart.

2. Right! I completely forgot about that! I tried it in the process, but later forgot. I’ll see, if I can work something up today.

3. For the skin and the bigger scales i decided against lot’s of glossy shading, but you’re absolutely right with the inner mouth. I’ll have to do some research how to do a glossy layer.

Thanks again! Will start to work right after breakfast :smiley:

Just got one comment… Thanks for making a believably shaped dragon! there are so many anatomically incorrect dragons out there that must rely on wishes or magic to fly, because their muscle and bone structures aren’t designed for the task. So, thanks. lol