A relatively classic low-poly landscape. And in last instance, a crow

It was about testing low-poly modeling. The animals are mine, not the trees or the mushrooms.
I understood that there were some sort of rules to follow, for a “really good low-poly model”. Perhaps something like the articulation between “economy and efficiency” of the number of faces, which would ultimately give a pleasant, very personal or subtle “design”. In this sense, I may have done a bit of anything.
However, I tried to work seriously for the crow, deer, bear, fox and frog. It was more in my early discovery of Blender.
In the distance, a bird should not be hidden by the mountain : a mistake.
All this perhaps lacks a little contrast?
Obviously, the presence of the crow and the fox recalls Lafontaine’s fable. (And every time I read “crow”, in English, I think of the film with Brandon Lee…).

2 Likes

I like this scene. The modeling of the low-poly animals is great. I can almost hear the idyllic pastoral music playing. :slight_smile:

For feedback suggestions, because you asked:

• Scene composition could use more attention. Get a basic art or painting book that discusses how to blocking out a composition, contrasting values, layering foregrounds and backgrounds, the rule of thirds, the curve that you design for the viewer’s eye to follow, implying a story in a still, etc. You don’t really seem to have any of this here. You have a nice scene, but it could be so much better.

• The tree in the foreground fits with the low-poly theme. But then the pine-trees and other trees behind them switch to a rounded smooth-shaded style. The contrast is subtly jarring. So too, the mountains might benefit from being more distinctly faceted to be low-poly.

Don’t take anything I say too seriously, you’ve made a great blender image. Please share more with us, and most importantly: keep having fun with blender!! :smiley:

edit:
Can I suggest you watch some Mush-mush and the Mushables ? It’s not in a low-poly style, but the ROCKS in their forest scenes are effectively low-poly and just great IMHO.

2 Likes

Thank you for your attention, your suggestions and your compliment.
I receive them without worry, considering that I am a beginner with a lot to learn. However, having an artistic background, I believe I can have certain “transversal skills”.

“Mush-mush and the Mushables”? I’ll look. My last big reference is Arcane, Studio Ghibli or Laika, Tokyo Godfathers or the productions of Sylvain Chomet. I will submit “MUSH-MUSH” this evening for household judgment. :slight_smile:

The examples of low-poly models that I found pleasant to see seemed to respect the basic rules of meshing: quads, no vertices connecting 5 edges at a time, etc. This means that it is not simply a matter of applying a “decimate” modifier which will work a little randomly. With this in mind, it becomes more painful for the eyes (or the mind?) to see certain details in my images. Is this a “purist” concern?

Anyway, I wrote everything down: thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like