A shot from my short and Pipeline Thoughts

Hi all. I did this case study some years ago to convince the rest of my company to convert to blender :stuck_out_tongue:
It went soso…
But anyways I thougt I share it whit you to hear your thinking.
The company I worked for used 3dsMax And it was a pain to split the work and to keep a non linear work flow, as there is no such thing as a working reference system. like Linking, in Blender, witch I love by the way! I even think it outperforms Mayas system. At least it´s a lot more elegant!

So here is the case. It´s a shot from my, not finished, short
Keep in mind, keep a development folder and a Master file for every asset. its a cheap way of “publishing”. As we don´t want to update our links in in our files like this

Truck_animation_Dev_0#.blend etc
Truck_animation_Master.blend

Best
Daniel

Final shot I couldn’t get the upload to work so it had to be a youtube link Sorry!

schematic view of the pipe where we can se how iex the light (world) and camera is linked in to the final landscape file and the one working with it can actually se what light and camera there will be in the final render. Coming from 3dsMax; this is huge!

One question is if on should bring in the whole rig in to the final render scene or just a linked Action? On Characters I tend to think its better to only link the action of the armature as it has some limitations when it comes to access the geo and materials. Also to cache out dynamics of hair etc is so much more work on linked characters as it cant be stored in the file. -That could also be me, not fully understand the link-system though

Truck rig Rigged with Rigacar

Mockup landscape

Animation

Final Landscape

Debris

Dust

1 Like