A stereotypical grass and chairs vision, with a firmly anchored ego

Perhaps inspired by James Tralie’s tutorial (I don’t remember it, for this other somewhat distant “project”).
Not much to say: it was about testing the “realistic” rendering of grass particles (with the Graswald addon) and moss! (so many tries on this damn moss), to manage a Hdri. Hey, I also wanted the famous “rays of God”, but ultimately they no longer appear.
Alice in Wonderland inspiration (far from “Alice in Borderlands”).
What is missing? Birds, some insect? Character…?
Yes… It still lacks a lot of life.

2 Likes

I’m tempted to say the question you should ask for now isn’t “what is missing?”, but rather “how can all those elements be better used?”.

You have a good collection of objects here and they each look pretty nice, but I don’t really see any intention in the image’s layout. The objects are just sprinkled all over without any one of them seeming to be the focus of the image.

What are you trying to convey by making this image? What feeling, or story? Is any of those objects supposed to be more important than the rest? If you can first answer such questions, you will be better prepared to tell if you need a character or anything else.

1 Like

Thank you for this remark. I understand.
I will now ask myself these questions every time. Because I think that many of my images suffer from this same lack.
Just one fact: all my images are in fact, above all, “alibis” for learning 3D and Blender. I’m not young anymore, so I do everything “in a hurry”, which means that it inevitably shows up on one point or another.
~ ~ ~

1 Like

This is a bit subjective, but the way I see it, what people tend to call “art” is actually 2 different things:

• The artistic vision. What feeling or idea a piece conveys.
  • The craftsmanship. How technically impressive the piece is. The sheer skill.

It’s possible to have one without the other (or to have both at the same time). Someone could convey a deep vision with very simple means like you said. On the other hands, someone could make a photoreal painting of the real world without intending anything more than a simple technical exercise.

Your image here stands pretty well on the technical side, so if that’s what you intended, well done! The grass looks nice with the variety of plants and I don’t see any blatant mistake in the models. If you wanted to do more on that aspect, you could always try making the objects more complex (like making more ornate chairs) or learning to add small imperfections to the textures.

Or now that I look at it, your ground texture seems to have black patches in it. I can’t know for sure, but this makes me think the bump might be way too strong, to the point of glitching and losing color in areas.

If you intend to improve on the technical side, I would try making a project which consist of one object that’s more complex and get feedback on it.

Scenes are good for learning image composition and the artistic side, but your attention is going to be split between multiple objects, so you go less in depth unless you want to sink loads of time on a single scene.

It depends on what you are trying to learn.

Greetings.
I recognize some of my own judgment in your remarks. On the other hand, a little ashamed, I must point out that the plant models are not mine: they come from the impressive addon “Graswald” (now “GScatter”?), indicated in the presentation. This addon was the starting point to produce the image: to see the degree of realism possible with it, Cycles, and Blender. It was towards the beginning of my discovery of Blender.
The images I post were produced over approximately 4 years.
Thanks.
→ Graswald / Gscatter? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DxGuF9HAo

1 Like