A tiny donut - my first render

After finished the Blender 2.5 Beginner Tutorial Series (2.5), I get this result.

It is my first completed rendering after following the entire tutorial and solving issues here and there.

Learning Blender - using a Windows 7 32 bits computer - (for now) and, once I get a better grasp on how to improve, I’ll upgrade my system and start with Blender 3.0 or higher versions.

Rendering used Google Colab - credits: FREE Cloud Rendering | Blender + Google Colab

Using Blender 2.78c.

I’m open to feedback, suggestions, tutorials on this version of Blender (2.78 or lower) in order to keep improving.

Thank you.

11 Likes

Looks like you’re off to a great start, welcome to blender!

1 Like

Welcome to Blender :clap:

1 Like

Welcome and keep it up

1 Like

i personally like it, the noise just adds to it and not the other way around.
the doughnut is yummy and looks homemade. its glazing pink parts just seem above the rest of it a little bit.

2 Likes

Welcome and great work!:smiling_face::fire:

1 Like

Welcome to Blender. - you asked for - "Feedback / Suggestions "

if everyone only says - " Well Done… " - you learn nothing and can’t improve.

So - What looks ‘Wrong’ to you ?
#1 Yes - it’s too small. ( or the plate and cup are ‘too big’ )

The Pink Glaze - seems to be floating / too high - or too large?
There is no ‘Dripping’ of the glaze…

The Cup is also ‘floating’ over the plate.

After a short break - days or a week. - redo the tutorial.
it should be easier the second time.

May I suggest you have a ‘Reference Image’ - and try to recreate what you see in your photo ( or even another good looking blender ‘render’ )

Your ‘Sprinkles’ - seem to be evenly distributed - not ‘Naturally Random’

Lastly - your render - seems to have a ‘Yellow’ tone… was that intended ? or accidental ?

• I would suggest you adjust - or colour correct - in photoshop ?

Like this…

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback.
You’re totally right.
I’ll take a few days for redo the donut - and using another donut “a real one” as a reference.
I have problems with the plate after scaling - it just changes the whole shape of the plate.
About the yellow-ish color, I’m not really sure - I just play with the node editor and the lighting/lights shown in the tutorial.
Definitely, I need to improve and I take your feedback for it :slight_smile: Thanks :+1:

I’m no expert - I just share my opinions. ( Some people don’t agree with me. )
if you want to share your blend file - I can take a look ? - and give you feedback / screenshots - based on settings you already have ? ( I guess the Tutorial was 'Blender Guru’s ? - I’ve not done the latest. - yet. )
Keep at it - day by day - better and better…

I would suggest you download the latest version of Blender - and check out his ‘latest’ version of the Donut Tutorial…

Sure.

I’m using Blender 2.78c - since I’m working on a old PC “Windows 7 - 32 bits”. For now, I’m learning doing basic stuff with what I have and - once I’m getting progress, I’ll upgrade my system.

PS: I've renounced a few times Blender since 2016 at least, so, I don't want to spend money (yet) on upgrading my system...

This is the link of the .blend file - I have to use this tool since the .blend file is too heavy - it contains the material/texture image used.

Hope it helps and thanks :+1:

Cool ok, I’ll take a look - but the oldest version I still have installed is 3.1

So any advise / screenshots - may not be helpful to you. - I’m not sure, but we can try.

• Worst case - it will make more sense - when you upgrade later.
1 Like

here is a quick edit I did…

View / Viewport / Front - to see the cup ‘above’ the plate.

I made the light brighter. ( no other changes - so I think it’s your older blender / render - that is the cause of the yellow )

I made the plate smaller - but now the cup seems to big ?

Anyway - good luck, I hope this helps.

I found the cause of the Yellow - Problem… you have a second light - that is very yellow…

1 Like

Thank you for your help and feedback.
I tried hiding the “Area” lamp you show on the screenshots, but, the result is very dark (on the “rendered” view).

Example:

Donut tutorial - v28 (update)

This is how I see it in my PC:

N.B: The text editors are there just for decrease the size Blender needs for render the images - I think it might help while navigating on “rendered” view and rendering the image with F12, though.

I like a big cup/mug in my case, but, it’s a valid critique :smiley:

The final image I generated with google colab - using Blender 2.90 - probably this is the reason we have different results.

Oh, I forgot to mention - I increased the value of that light - from .5 to 6.5 !!

That will make the difference…

Right Click on the light ( and slide your mouse - right )

• you will see the value - in the bottom left corner of your screen.

Before / After…

1 Like

Hello, there :slight_smile:
Indeed, it made the difference!

The red-highlighted option is the one I changed as your instructions - since it seems the version of Blender I’m using doesn’t have the option you show on your screenshots.

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I’m happy to help…

1 Like