A vhs tape for good old memories

Hello everyone ! :wave:

For this project, I decided I would celebrate a very special day to me. The 8th of november. Because so many things happened on that day. :partying_face: :tada:

First of all, I was born, 29 years ago. :laughing: Then 6 years ago, we got together with my (now) wife. :heart: And finally, 2 years ago, I started working in a new company that is probably to this day my best professionnal experience. :computer: All of these happened on the 8th of november, yes. And NO, it wasn’t done on purpose. I swear. Or maybe. :shushing_face:

To celebrate this, I was looking for an object that represented nostalgia, memories… And I don’t know why, but, for me, nostalgia always had this kind of cosy vibe feeling in my head. I remember thinking about my past and finding out that my most valuable and loved memories were often just us, me and my brother, kids, watching television in a cosy warm place while it was heavy raining outside. This always felt so relaxing and safe. This was probably the reason I still listen to rain all the time when I’m working. Even now. :cloud_with_rain:

So, with all that in mind, what better object than a good old VHS tape ? This was it. I had to make one of these.

It took me a good 2/3 weeks to model because of my job. I could only model for a few hours a week, sometimes less. But anyway, this was so relaxing to do, I enjoyed every part of it.

I did all the modeling based on this reference and this real VHS tape I had in my appartement for whatever reason. :laughing:

After modeling was done, this was what I got. :tada: And I was pretty happy with it !

Gotta say the back part was kind of a pain in the ass.

It was then time for texturing. And I wanted my wife to be part of this, one way or another. So I asked her to write what would be written on the tape’s label.

I created the label in photoshop, and used the alpha of the writing to create the final label inside blender.

So now, I had my models, my textures (done inside substance painter) so I could have my first renders done !

And I kinda hated them :laughing: Also, I modified a few stuff here and there but I struggled so much rendering this thing. Was it the composition ? The lights ? I don’t know, but it kind of always felt “wrong” to me. Here are some of the “bad” renders I did.

Eventually, I rendered these. And actually really liked these. So these were the final renders. :tada: I added a bit of magic in Lightroom, and TADAAAA, here they are !

I never really write that much usually, don’t worry. :grimacing: It’s just that this one felt very special to me, and I hope you’ll enjoy the ride. Give me your feedbacks on this, I would really really appreciate it. Take care, bisous :heart:

14 Likes

That’s awesome! Great memories and great render!!

1 Like

Wow! So realistic!:heart_eyes::fire:

1 Like

Thanks a lot ! :smiling_face:

Great memories indeed ! VHS tape were my whole world when I was a kid !

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Hey ! Thanks a lot Bart :smile:

1 Like