A way to add Toon effect through Camera

Much like the Line art “Freestyle” that’s on Blender, I wanted to know if there is a Toon Addon for it? Instead of having to go through each and EVERY object, that is. I’ve been searching for hours without success so… this is kind of my last hope. Haha.

Also, I’m new here. Nice to meet y’all.

Add a new grease pencil object, line art, collection, set the collection, now all your objects have lines. Look up “grease pencil line art” here or on YouTube

search > blender toon shader addon <

there are many of them…

@RSEhlers @joseph
My apologies. I’m talking about an actual toon shader for the render, not for each objects. Freestyle has the ability to automatically add the lines. I’m looking for something that could automatically make everything toon shaded without losing the shadows and whatnot. I just don’t know if this is possible or not.

I’ve heard from an old friend several years ago before he disappeared from the internet (Work related) that he had a workflow for making everything toon without touching his objects.

Plus, I figured if Unreal Engine and Unity could do it, maybe Blender could, too.

Well no theres no toonshade posteffect builtin, what you can to, if you render in cycles, is to override the materials all at once with another single shader/material.

So if you have a toon shader then you may want to give it a try.

If that doesnt suit your needs you will have to look for a toon shader and addon that supports what you want.
Maybe its easier to look for both functionalities separately, a toon shader an an addon to replace materials.

Nice to meet you too.

This could be a photoshop filter. Posterise in any 2D graphics app will make the image only have a limited number of colors.
There are also pixelate and other similar addons / effects for blender. In the compositor is Filters > Filter, Kuwahara, Pixelate and posterise.

It seems like if I want to do anything, I’d need to use the Toonkit. Sadly, the Override does not work as it makes everything one color from what I’m seeing. Unless I’m doing it wrong somehow.

Lol. That’s easy but it wouldn’t feel “natural”. And kind of a pain when it comes to video. Also, I use GIMP. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

In dont really know Toonkit. But there are alot toonshaders out there.

By replacing with override you just have ONE material to swap to, yes. So it depends on the shader and your needs, but there are limitations due to that yes.
But if you eg need just an configurable color per Object you could use the object info node to grab the objects “viewport display color” and utilize it in your shader.

object info

And as I said before there addons to replace materials.

Like this, but take a look yourself, I just quickly grabbed the first search result to give you a start.

Remember to look at the nodes in the compositor…

@Matakani @Debuk
First of all, I’m really sorry! I actually lost this site and couldn’t remember the name of it.

I actually found a solution that works for me but still have to define what each of these objects are through shaders. It’s no worries as I am working on everything from scratch. Thank you for taking the time to help me out. And again, sorry for taking so long to reply.

1 Like