A45 / big

Finally, I could finish this work too.

The scene is based A45 project from BIG, an architectural agency. I really like their work and that one was a perfect beginning for my next exercise. My goal was to create a scene with a lot of vegetation to try the addon Scatter. The original project can be seen here : https://www.archdaily.com/894941/a45-big/

Among Scatter, I used Pro-lightning Skies, Graswald and E-cycles for render.

Please leave comment if anything bugs you, I really think that community critisicm is important.

Let’s start :smiley:

Arrival :

Render

This is the result of the proxy system of Scatter. In viewport, simple models are used, who will be changed for the rendered view or final render. That way, you can scatter a lot of 3D models and still work on your scene.

Here, you can see that it’s possible to scatter along the camera FOV and distance.

This is the layers generated with the render that I will be using in Photoshop later.

05_Post-Prod
A GIF of the steps of post-production :grin:

A render, for me, is a lots of try and errors. This is a sample of render I tried before choosing the final point of view, camera size, lightning, vegetation, etc…

The viewport of blender while working !

Firecamp :

Render

Again, the proxy system of Scatter

03_Post-Prod
Classical GIF of post-production. Post-production is everything. :+1:

You can see there that, at first, there were two people in the scene. I’m still not sure of my choice of removing them. I found that the alchemy between them wasn’t working and it was the only render with characters so I removed them.

Morning :

Render

This is the last render I did. You can spot the differences of the furnitures location between the first and last render. I privileged the point of view among the consistency of the scenes.

02_GIF
The GIF !

Thanks for your future comments, feel free to share your feelings ! :grinning:

102 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, enjoy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

Nice breakdown of your scene! Your have the eye for details that makes it look photographic.
Compositing layers in Photoshop, you seem to like living dangerously! :smiley:

Thanks a lot ! :grinning:

1 Like

I’m trying to use the compositor from Blender, but I’m more comfortable with Photoshop :neutral_face:
Is blender supporting LUT files ?

i don’t think so. I don’t think Blender compositor is quite there yet to be honest, especially in terms of performance.
It’s just that Photoshop isn’t known for it’s accurate math, maybe they have fixed their stuff though (it’s harder to follow what gets updated with subscription).
If I render passes separately I am used to merge them in Nuke or DaVinci Fusion, but I need to try with Affinity Photo, it is surprisingly doing a lot of things right for such a young software.

nice work !

1 Like

Great post! Thank you for sharing.

Amazing work

Why do you need so many different layers? I’m new to blender.

Beautiful work and great to see your process! Thanks for sharing! Which library did you use for the trees?

Great work, congrats.

Amazing. Thank you for sharing this.

I don’t need all of them, I’m using some of them I find useful. They are used in Photoshop to select, mask some areas of the render by selecting the layer the most appropriate for each steps.
Most of my post-production work is very empirical. I try until it’s good.

Nice one, great use of Scatter!

Awesome! I love it :slight_smile: Great use of E-Cycles !

Have you tried Natron, how far is it from commercial alternatives?

Multi layer rendering, also known as Passes, AOV’s, Render Elements etc. are a way to split up your render into their separate components.
Now you can tweak them all separate in comp, something that would be hard to do afterwards, even with proper mattes. This could be done in Photoshop, Affinity Photo (great app), Nuke, Natron of Fusion for instance.

Just do a search on YT on multi layer compositing and you will see why this can be a good practice.
It is more or less a standard workflow in larger VFX productions, where every last bit of pixel is tweaked for maximum effect.
And changing things in comp is always faster than re-rendering your frame(s) again. :wink:

rob

Natron is the closest thing to Nuke you can get in a free OSS software package.
It’s almost a 1 on 1 copy in most areas, even the UI. I never had any issues with it while testing it.

But afaik the development is a bit in need of ‘new blood’, as the one(s) who started the project left.

It’s a nice piece of software, but Nuke’s way of dealing with multi-layer exr’s can be very confusing at first. It is unique in handling them that way.

But it would be nice to see it get a bit more love (and devs).

1 Like