Aasiya and Amani Sculpture

2020 - 10 February
“Aasiya and Amani” Stylized 3D sculpt by Yuditya Afandi.

Studio/client: stylized character, sculpture
Software: Blender, Marvelous Designer, Photoshop
Tasks:

• Modelling
  • Sculpting
    When: February 2020
    Comment:
    Got the permission to share this stylized character concept sculpt I did for Arman Haque based on concept by @monotone_ink (twitter). Sculpted and modelled in Blender, base cloth created in Marvelous Designer, rendered in Cycles, Final images composited in Photoshop. Thank you very much for your support!

Artstation link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RYxDAe

My website: https://yudit1999.wordpress.com/

Showcase Video:

96 Likes

Great subtle face expressions. I can imagine her personality without a word spoken.

2 Likes

nice work!!..you should try the new cloth brush to see if you get better results in the clothes

2 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

First I must say that your work is really impressive!
As a beginner who still struggles to create some basic stuff, I cannot really comprehend how you create something as good as this.
Having said that, as a working musician I’ve noticed one detail which would be shame not to be corrected since you’ve obviously invested so much time in all the other details.
Violin bridge doesn’t look like the one you created, so I think that correcting this tiny detail would improve even more overall impression. Especially if some violinist sees your work! :slight_smile:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2966/4646/products/vb10-bridge_4000x.jpg?v=1538071163

3 Likes

Very very nice, but JFYI, violins are generally played with the left hand on the neck, same as guitars.

Since violins are not symmetrical inside, restringing them to be left handed is not a trivial matter.

3 Likes

In addition to the bridge shape which was pointed out, the violin goes on the left hand, bow in the right hand. The violin’s chin rest is in the right spot on the violin.Here is how it held by o

ne of the world’s leading violinists: https://www.google.com/search?q=hilary+hahn&safe=active&sxsrf=ACYBGNR8RgcRCLJ4sGFBc4xaSSTxfuQqZg:1581571100196&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjczfS8483nAhUGjq0KHQahC6UQ_AUoAnoECBUQBA&biw=1920&bih=969

3 Likes

Great style and awesome modeling!

1 Like

Aren’t there any left violins, just like there are left guitars ?

1 Like

No. Violins are placed on the left shoulder, bow are held in the right hand, regardless of handedness, in all classical music. Most violinists will also attach a shoulder rest on while playing, but not all do. A few will also add a hankercheif between the chin-rest and the chin, but that isn’t terribly common.

Fiddles (which are the same instruments as violins technically, but not held the same way and sometimes using alternative turnings) likewise are played on the left 98% of the time. There are some american fiddle players who hold the violin on the wrong side claiming they are “left handed fiddle players”, and learn to play it backwards, but it is not designed to played in the opposite hand. Typically those few who do have to modify the chinrest or remove it to make it work.

I’ve played violin for over nearly 30 years.

3 Likes

Nice work my guy! I’m really impressed by the cloths on both of them. I’ve tried modeling a hijab once and had no idea what I was doing :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Wow so much talent in a single picture ! you take it to heaven good JOB !

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

LOL - I hadn’t noticed that but you are right. I was so infuriated by the incorrect bow hold!!!

2 Likes

One deal is, as I mentioned, the interior of a violin is not nearly as symmetrical as the interior of a guitar (which TMK is perfectly symmetrical, but I could be wrong).

I’ll let you google it, but look up “bass bar” and “sound post”.

So, it’s not just a matter of swapping strings around. Additionally, the canon is set up to rather concentrate on the higher strings, so songs and playing have evolved to make the A and E strings the easiest to use.

RE: bow holds: people hold their bow in all sorts of crazy ways, so the classical hold is by no means the only ‘correct’ way to do it. The way depicted is a bit of a ‘learner hold’, and can also be used when the musician has trouble with bow bounce. (Some British folk treasure held his 8 inches up from the frog, but you can’t argue with his results.)

That said, the sculpturing is lovely.

1 Like

Hmmmm that is fascinating. I’d never gotten into the guts of a violin before. Wikipedia tells me the bass bar is called barra d’armonia, I don’t think I’ve ever even heard the term. The sound post isn’t placed centrally either ? I can’t find a clear example on the internets… nice to learn all this, cheers.

Aaaaahhhhh I’ve long wondered about this, actually ! An acquaintance of mine plays the hardingfele, it’s the scandinavian variant of the violin, something like that ? only with strings doubled - how do you call that in english ? on the lute they’re called “chœurs” iirc… thanks for your insight !

I haven’t even commented on the artwork really. It’s outstanding ! The stances are well defined, they’re good, animation-grade poses, which is something I can appreciate. Great work…

1 Like

Yeah, the artwork is SUPERIOR, very appealing, even to us instrument nerds taking potshots. :wink:

The hardinger has RESONANT strings, like a sitar.

The bass bar is, unsurprisingly, under the bass/lower strings. The sound post fits tightly between the belly (top) of the fiddle and the back, and generates more resonance throughout the instrument. The sound post is traditionally under the ‘foot’ of the bridge, on the treble side. It’s not glued down or anything, tension alone holds it in place, also the bridge. Unstringing a violin often causes the sound post to fall over, and that sucks because for a non-luthier, standing it back up is a chore. People will occasionally move the post and the bridge around slightly to enhance the sound of the instrument, so they are not secured in any manner. The little notches in the f-holes (that’s what they’re called, don’t blame me) are to indicate where the bridge should be placed. :smiley:

2 Likes

The bridge is typically asymetrical, too. The height of the higher sounding strings is typically lower/shorter than the lowerstrings. That kind of thing I wouldn’t expect a non-musician artist to get right. My guess on why they messed up with the side is because of where the chinrest sits, people who don’t play will often assume it is opposite side. I digress.

1 Like

I also noticed I comment on the work itself. The modeling and sculpting is amaxing, I especially like the expression and sunglasses on the character holding the violin. There is a confidence in her gaze that is amazing. The character with the guitar looks more timid and shy. The juxaposition between the two is superb. Better modeling and sculpting that I could do.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the feedback!