Abandoned House

Trying to make post apocalypse Abandoned House in blender, please give criticism and suggestions so I can improve it in future projects

U can see my project at my instagram @lend1_3d

23 Likes

In my perspective, a captivating post-apocalyptic scene requires a compelling narrative and thoughtful design to ignite the imagination. While your scene is visually striking and deserves applause :clap:, it lacks the sense of purpose that drives the story forward.

The presence of urban graffiti feels out of place amidst the solitary house in the forest, as most of those drawings lack a meaningful context. Instead, incorporating warning signs would be more appropriate (and I commend the inclusion of the “help” message on the roof, which is an excellent decision). It’s important to consider the placement of the graffiti as well; the smiley face overlapping the roof appears odd and unlikely to have been intentionally drawn there.

Furthermore, I almost overlooked the human skull in this shot, whereas it should be immediately noticeable and conspicuous if you intended to include it. It would be beneficial to enhance its prominence and ensure it catches the viewer’s attention! :grinning:

The giant, solitary rock next to the seesaw does not belong there in my opinion. At least, it is far too large.

In my opinion, some fitting elements to enhance the scene would be a dilapidated fence that has been forcefully opened, a torn flag representing a surviving faction, tire marks indicating previous activity, and scattered boxes that were left behind due to their inability to be carried. Considering the presence of a seesaw, perhaps including leftover toys on the ground or child chalk drawings on the walls of the house could also enhance the atmosphere and add to the story. These are the elements I would personally consider incorporating. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your input is very detailed and very very useful for me, thank you for your attention even for the small details that exist, I will try to improve my skills for future projects, once again thank you this is very useful for me

1 Like

Welcome to BA! :confetti_ball:

You have a pretty solid foundation there!

For me the realism is mostly lacking in the textures. Though there is a certain “waviness” in a couple of the walls that’s probably modelled – the distortion is too regular, how would that have happened?

The underside of the roof – you’d never have stones there in real life; how would they stay? The fascia also doesn’t look real everywhere, especially on the right side. The wood of the see-saw is too light in comparison to everything else that looks aged; protective varnish flakes after less than a year out in the weather.

As to the graffiti – I don’t think it’s out of place because the house seems isolated in the forest. I come across abandoned buildings / usually ruins not infrequently on hikes in the forest where I live, and they’ve pretty much always got some graffiti on them (some people seem to go hiking loaded with beer and spray cans). And that’s not after an apocalyptic event. Though they’re not as densely covered as an urban building would be.

Think about the people who put the graffiti there – would they have brought a ladder with them? Not likely. Would they painstakingly spray something around a building feature (it looks like the graffiti was applied before the porch roof was built, which can’t be true). No. I’d limit the graffiti to the bottom of the house. I’m also thinking you might tell more of the story with it instead of it being random. I love the HELP on the roof; that’s really hinting at something. Maybe the graffiti could hint a little more – what happened here?

1 Like

thanks to your input I know my shortcomings that I should pay attention to in the future, such as lacking story telling and my lack of attention to small details, in the future I will use more references and try to deepen the story telling of my future project, thank you for wanting to give suggestions which is useful

1 Like

Art doesn’t necessarily have to express an explicit story, and it is also quite alright to leave much of it to the viewer’s imagination. But I feel it really helps to have a semi-specific backstory in mind when composing a scene because that’s more likely to imbue it with extra life, and make the viewer ask questions about the piece (which will make them linger and examine it more closely – like the HELP did here for me). It doesn’t have to be anything major, but just like a method actor invents a backstory for their character in order to express specific emotions in a scene, having an idea of what happened makes me automatically pay more attention to putting in extra detail – detail that might not come to mind if I stop at thinking “abandoned house in the woods”. Instead I’ll be asking “who abandoned it?” → “a poor family of six”, and why?" → “an apocalyptic event” → “what sort; biblical flood, zombies, nuclear, meteor impact, alien invasion, …?” – I like using the old journalistic research approach: Who What When Where Why and How. It’s usually enough for those to sketch a rough verbal outline you can draw on.

And yeah, use references whenever you can – for example places like Chernobyl/Pripyat and other ghost towns are amazing for the detail they can provide about what sorts of things people leave behind, and what such a place looks like decades later.

1 Like

I like it, you give me broader new knowledge, thank you for taking your time to provide your extraordinary input, in the future I will start paying attention to the things you mentioned, thank you for your input😆

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate it

1 Like