[ABANDONED!] Undecided

Hello. My first blender was 2.49b, remember staring its splash a lot, like “wow i will never be able to pull this of!” . Man,BI renders have some charm, used to envy Pablo’s BI renders (still do), too bad they are burried somewhere.

And i never did, cycles arived before i could master blender internal, so phorealism became new hot topic. Now i work sculpting and modeling, so materials are not my thing, very rarely i render something, haven’t kept up with eevee updates, and never ever use sketcfab. So biggest chalenge will be texturing and making stylized materials in sketchfab. And finding free time.

Idea - splash art but years later - little alien STILL undecided where he should go, now he is older and other space travelers are forced to wait on him. While render will be just that, viewing the final version in scketchfab should reveal more, making use of 3d dimention for some storytelling.

Basic Mock Up

My comets look like sh!t for now,sorry :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I remember Pablo’s tutorial DVD, the trick with mapping glowy stuff to the Normal blew my mind at the time. This release was probably THE #1 splash screen I looked at the most, because I was using it in production and we had to sit on it for ages while the revolutionary 2.5 sorted out all the “from scratch” bugs

2 Likes

Hey, would you please post (or add to your profile) a link to your Sketchfab account? I’d like to follow you there.

I dont have SF account yet, i see no point posting such early work there. I work a lot, sothere is no time maintaining updates on multiple sites )

Anyway, couple evenings got me this

I’ll post later all the faces iterations, as there were many. Very hard for me to get that cute vibe, and make him older.

I decide to make vehicle retro style, just because i realy realy wanted to. Just need to make it smaller and the pilot bigger so we can see his expression better.

So many work ahead :melting_face:

edit - trying to change thumbnail to this post, but not working yet

2 Likes

Looks cool! :wink:

1 Like

Progress is very slow as i spend so much time on my materials, without knowing what i’m actualy doing. I downloaded some of blender other splahes to inspection, only to be flexed by huge matrices of math nodes, i could even find where the shader nodes are.

Also my original dummy scene was terrible, since it doesnt convey shape of actual characters, so i needed change positons of everything. Lesson learned.

By the way, here is the original, incase someone didn’t see it
Blender-2.49b-splash-screen

I havent found who actualy created it, but he did good job!

still can’t change topic’s thumbnail, pls halp(

3 Likes

Nice update there. I have this idea to show that the alien already got old, maybe just add beard etc. and those following him would be his kids and grandkids (the current un-bearded version), further implicating that they still can’t decide even after many generations has passed. But of course, it’s your decision. :grinning:

About setting the thumbnail, though it has been noted in the FAQ, I myself find it a bit confusing at first before realizing it’s as ‘easy’ as it need to be : just add " |thumbnail " after the image size in the code line after you upload am image for the thumbnail, just don’t forget the vertical slash ( | ) before ‘thumbnail’.

As an example, below is the code you get after uploading an image :

thumb0

I set the image display size in the post to half hence the ‘50%’ but it’s optional and won’t affect the thumbnail, and here’s where you should insert the code for setting the thumbnail (highlighted) :

thumb1

Hope this solves it.

2 Likes

Thank you, but i did that. No luck yet.

Hmmm … maybe you can try putting the code in the first post (edit the first post to include it) ?

If anything fails, the most foolproof way would be to edit the first post to include your newest image as the very first image.

EDIT : I tested it on an old post of mine on other topic and can confirm that the ’ |thumbnail ’ code has to be in the first post or else it won’t work.

1 Like

I think it might be this dude, but I could be wrong, try contacting him. https://cgranjon.artstation.com/

1 Like

Remember that dream, where you just sculpt and sculpt and results are hideous no mater how much you try? Then you wake up and rush to your PC to find out if you truly lost your mojo? Here are some renders from that dream!

The nose overmouth threw me off, also was nightmare to retopo.

And new character - Space Goblin, awaits final touches and retopology (oh God…)
I think this turned out good, i just dont know how much i will massacre with my retopo skills. But i wonder, what bussines the mischievous space goblins have in this part of the galaxy,hmm…

PS - thank you for help guys, but i cant edit first post T.T i think i littered my topic enough with technical difficulties, so posted in forum support

4 Likes

Slowly getting there… The goal is to pose more characters, so they aren’t the same, also maybe change some of the alien models. Struggling with time and scope, realy just want to sculpt more aliens, instead of tehnical stuff

3 Likes

Hey! As we’re entering the final days of the challenge, I’d like to give you some helpful tips to make sure you can successfully complete your entry. Please see my new post on the FAQ topic.

Hopefully these guys can make it through traffic in time for the end of the contest! Make sure to get it on Sketchfab by Thursday, September 15, and tag it #bcon22challenge

1 Like

I don’t have time nor energy to finish, to much work irl, some day they will reach their destination,but not in september.

Very disappointed in my abilities

1 Like

Hey! Just a quick reminder that there’s now less than 12 hours remaining to wrap up your challenge entry - submissions close at 2022-09-15T21:59:00Z, GMT+1 (click on the link for some international times).

If you haven’t done so already, please review this post which contains some essential information for preparing your submission.

At the very least, upload your work to Sketchfab as soon as possible and add the #bcon22challenge tag.

It’s also a good idea to add a link to your WIP topic in the description of your Sketchfab model so we can easily find it.

I’ll also keep a close eye on the FAQ topic today, so if you have any issues or questions please post it there as soon as possible.

Good luck!

The latest version looks great to me! :+1:

1 Like