Abandoning ship, but... to where?

Unreal Engine uses Udkscripts you can use C or C++ all it worked.UDK is strong for work with scripts.Work with .cfg for request variables save/load.
I used before the problem are you need send information to EPIC games about your project if you wish sell.Is parcially free not total free like Blender/BGE

Abandoning ship, but… to where?

Without even reading the thread-

• Ace Dragon: Godot because <insert marketing slogans and talk about upcoming features>
  • BluePrintRandom: A CAPTAIN ALWAYS GOES DOWN WITH THE SHIP <links to wrectified video>
  • Random university student: Unity is the only game engine
  • Other random noob: UE4 is the best it has blueprints and is very powerful just download 597GB and buy expensive PC
  • Standard BGE zealot: UPBGE is the future and will defeat unity if I can just finish my awesome cool game
  • High-level BGE zealot: BGE can do great things if you just <explains workarounds for a huge huge list of bugs and quirks>
1 Like

I am patching holes and running bilgepumps,

Bge/Ketsji shall not sink,

(I don’t want to see a userbase collapse because the bf thought it would be cool to try and kill bge).

and the link I am sharing now - https://github.com/bge-community/Ketsji-Game-Engine

we have a few developers and can always use more*

Though wrecfified continues, Ketsji must not die.

Pretty much !

One of a number of currently active threads with the same people tediously going over the same grounds ad nauseum. It pretty much comes down to “use whatever game engine you want”, why should anyone else give a toss

I am just trying to say it is not dead*

it lives here

I don’t want the forum to empty out,
I like you guys. :expressionless:

I understand, but that’s life.

Communities die, friends move on, and circles change. And it really sucks when you don’t have control over it.

Last summer, my two best friends who were dating eachother went through an extremely nasty breakup. I got caught in the middle as mediator. Long story short, they’ll never speak to eachother again, one will never talk to ME again, the other is so emotionally destroyed that I barely talk to them anymore, and a fourth friend started drifting away by himself around that time. My main community was VERY different a year ago.

I was really upset. That whole ordeal was the definition of pain. But you know what? It’s been almost a year, and I’ve found a new group of inseperables. That situation was an absolute worst-case, and I would never wish that upon anybody.

The point of my story is that you can’t stop people from wanting to move on. And I’m sorry that they do, but that’s life.

Besides, there are more of us than there are alternatives. Some people will be going the same way. And we’re all developers; we’ll find eachother again. We have a tendency to keep in touch, I find.

This BGE -“ship” has been sinking what like nine years now (no major updates since project YoFrankie!). Still this engine has many active users. Why? BGE is the easiest and fastest game engine for a single developer or a very small team (2-10 maybe). It have pretty much all the features you need for your game. BGE is so underrated because noobs are making their assumptions about game engine’s capabilities fully based on “graphic presentation videos”. They are worried about lack of PBR-shader in BGE , even they don’t know how to create good graphics for any engine. They are worried about missing features they don’t know what these features even are. They are just told that these features are in Unity/UE and not in BGE. The features that they don’t ever need.

Yes BGE has some issues too. GPL license has caused confusion(not a real problem on PC) and is the reason BGE could never spread to mobile and consoles. BGE’s biggest problem was always the lack of development like we all know.

What comes to that moving to another engine…Well if you think Unity or UE is better then just go for it. They are free so just try them. We have (two dev team) and still BGE goes ahead for us. Work flow and use of time is the factor.
Godot is the future hope, but as it is now, Godot would be my choice only for 2D/mobile games at the moment.

upbge has 23 versions of releases each with updates and bug fixes.

they stopped about 4 months ago, we started a less tha a week ago.

I agree 100% with this comment.

Content is what matters = texures, sounds, animations, gameplay.

And AFAIK, all engines support those

So, I want to open up a serious, mature, civil discussion about that thing people are worried about: where to go next.

UE4 for me. I moved to it about a year ago. Still use Blender both BF and UPBGE, tho. I always will, hell I used 2.49 up untill two years ago. I have used Unity in the past, I like it, but my C#, Unityscript coding isn’t very strong. UE4 has Blueprints, which is perfect for me. I’m still finding cool features in UE4. Like the navmesh volume, just drag it in the viewport, scale it, and build on top of it. It automatically updates. And material instancing. Create a meterial, make it the parent, and all it’s children materials are free, no draw calls. Bash it if you like, but thats where I’m at.

@MichelleSea

tough story, be strong and move on physically, getting caught into other people’s drama is like a whirlpool sucking you into a downward spiral that only wears you down emotionally, it’s a loop you must learn to break out of yourself… wish I had a real life ctrl c button

empower/inspire/support others and those who are around you but also learn to let go of things when it goes out of your hand, you’ll be happier

Some of us may let go of bge, move on to other communities but it is ok, as what connects us to each others before and the countless strangers there after is our passions(art/game etc), and the web only strengthens this connections with time as it continues to expand our horizons and extending our mind’s into reaching ever further than what was even physically possible

bge is one of many connections we shared and loved once upon a time, yet so much more awaits us, to infinity and beyond!

upbge has static mesh instancing *

@BPR Yes, I think Blender can handle a lot more than some folks think. as you know.

@ everyone else,including me. :slight_smile:
with all the free or nearly free tools we have, including Blender, sculptrus, Unity, UE4, Godot, etc. if you had a little money you could even buy animations, and char, at mixamo.com. (tho I’m not sure about their licencing)

there is absolutly no reason to blame the software, or lack of updates, if you can’t make a game. Blame yourselfs.

All i have to say is WTF. I don’t even know what to say. I’m going down with the ship fuck it. I can’t abandon ship.

I may release my game just to show n remind everyone that it was still going strong n looked great. All the bitching was a joke to me till today. I never stalled because of the engine. It’s only ever been time that has stopped me. Blender was beast I loved it. Sad sad day

Also for the whiners my game was still in 2.72 no problems. Looks n plays pro. Was gonna update n release on 2.8 build but oh well.

…where have you been? This has been known for a long time now.
And hey, that’s your prerogative, but this didn’t exactly come out of left field. It’s been on official notes and blog posts for months, and last week the engine was officially removed in a 2.8 update.

Asshole I’m cuervo1003 I know that, its my way of acknowleging it. Just felt like a slap in face. It was a needed move I’m sure. It’s just the way the cookie crumbles.

My comments are in defence of the bge. I ain’t going nowhere, my game was in 2.72 so Im good. Leave the bge it’s fine I give 0 fucks to deserters. Ahoy maties yo ho.

Asshole I’m cuervo1003 I know that.

No you’re not an asshole. And thanks again for the curve scripts in resources. I do think, however, that your missing your calling. I think “Nuke” has potential. as an [old] gamer, I would buy it. Any chance of a full “Nuke” game anytime soon?