Abnormal Normals

Hi guys. I have a mesh in Blender that I exported to Marmoset and baked my maps from high to low poly. The result looks great… in Marmoset. And also in Substance Painter. But when I apply the normal map back in Blender, I’m getting some weird behaviour. Observe:

Marmoset

Substance

Blender

This happens only on this part of the model. The rest of it looks fine. It also happens whether I apply it to the original Blender model, or the reimported FBX. I’ve tried everything I can think of, but I’m at a total loss as to what is going on here. It’s driving me a bit crazy.

Has anyone seen this before, or have any ideas what might be going on?

I’m not sure but this might be related to Blender using OpenGL normals and Substance Painter uses DirectX normals.

Unfortunately it’s not that. I have Substance set to OpenGL normals. I tried flipping the green channel anyway for good measure and it just inverted all the depth as expected. The weird lines remain either way. :pensive:

Can you share a screenshot of your shader editor (nodes) in Blender?

Sure thing. The normal map is 32bit/channel.

Did you try color space: “Non-color” ?

I did, it looks exactly the same. Made me wonder what the difference is between linear and non-color under the hood. All the other color spaces break things as you would expect.

Then I’m out of options, sorry.

You might get more info about color spaces here:

Not to worry, thanks for trying.

Try adding a Weighted Normals modifier on your object (don’t forget to enable Auto-Smooth).

Unfortunately that doesn’t change anything either.

I’ve uploaded a blend file with the normal map in case anyone would like to take a look.

Blend File

This is probably a triangulation issue. Before you export for baking, throw on a Triangulate modifier to ensure faces are split into triangles consistently between apps. You can also try throwing it on the already baked model and playing with it to see if you can get the result you want, but it’s not surefire.

2 Likes

Interesting, that makes sense and I hadn’t thought of it. I’ll try triangulate and rebake and see how it goes. Cheers.

You are a beautiful person. Simply triangulating the affected faces manually fixed it.

I will triangulate before export in future. Thanks a lot!

1 Like