About blenderman and 3delight.

Anyone knows the limitations of the use of blenderman with 3delight?
Any tutorial or some help somewere?
I was triying it but i dont get my textures on it.

And always see a ¿plane? and light at 0,0,0, even if i have nothing here. I have to select all objects and drags them some units along.
thanks

PD:Wow, that’s english!

Well I have been trying Blenderman now for a couple of days, awesome coding.

I also had the same problem you have, and looked at the console window and noticed an error relating to the fact that a variable name “evar” is being used before it has been declared.

I am not sure whether it is proper to list fixes to someone else’s code, or whether this is actually a fix or just a patch :smiley: Probably is caused by an incorrect sequence of buttons pushed or something. use at your own risk of course. Or even if you are the coding type…

Let me know…

Or someone else respond…

Anyone knows the limitations of the use of blenderman with 3delight?

It does not support multiple materials per mesh.
The motion blur shutter time is always greater than 1 (In reality it’s always smaller than 1, usually about 0,5)
The Blender Python API has proven to not be the best way to implement such a thing as a Renderman exporter…

Also, I should point out some of the limitations of 3Delight too:

It does not motion blur raytraced (reflective, refractive) surfaces.
Has no GI, arealights and caustics.
Regardless of that, this is an extremely fast and stable renderer with outstanding quality.

Lyubomir

Yes 3Delight is FAST, there is a drawback to everything I guess. Since BMRT became unavailable I feel this is the next best option in terms of affordabilty. It could even be the best option over BMRT due to the speed, but I dont have much experience with BMRT as most of my shaders dont work as I have the older version.

Blenderman is an amazing script, needs some tweaking if you know what to do, especially if you want to render DXF’s that have been loaded by using the “Open” file command. Each mesh’s name is prefixed with a “*” which causes hassles on Windows as this is not a valid character for a file name or folder. This can be fixed by fiddling with the code to strip this character and others out before creating the mesh files, but you have to be careful.

Also a point worth noting is that if you are using an image as a mapped texture, that image has to be in the /blenderman/default/textures/ folder, you cant just enter its path into the texture box, something that took me a while to figure out. By the looks of things it also has to be a .tif file also.

As far as help files are concerned, I dont know, haven’t seen any myself, best way is to view the generated RIB and read up on the Renderman spec and 3Delight.

If anyone knows where to get BMRT 2.6 for windows…

i have bmrt if you would lik

Yes Please !!

I looked on your www but there seems to be an error after page 1. Interesting content on your HP though…

Does anyone know why I am getting bumped edges on circular surfaces but not on spheres. This was exported with Blenderman and I have tried all of the max settings to try to smooth it out.

I have exported the same mesh with rendrib.py and have a totally smooth result.

Is this a bug in Blenderman, or a silly operator who doesnt know all there is to know about Blenderman?? i.e. Am I missing something probably forgotten to push a button???

[/img]

Actaully on closer inspection, rendrib.py also produces bumped edges. They almost look like edges of a saw blade. Like jaggies for a mesh if you know what I mean.

This must have something to do with Renderman options that are not enabled that I am not aware of…

Actaully on closer inspection, rendrib.py also produces bumped edges. They almost look like edges of a saw blade. Like jaggies for a mesh if you know what I mean.

I don’t know what you mean…
Soletread, can you post an image somewhere (or e-mail me) and give me more information about what shader did you use, what parameters, render settings etc.?

I also got some strange look on meshes with subdivision level of 2 or 3. It looks more like a faceted mesh instead of a smooth one. I’m afraid either 3Delight’s PointsPoligons are not very well implemented or Blenderman’s 3Delight mesh export is not perfect (what would you expect from this crappy Python API anyway…)

This month (October) a new version of 3Delight should be released which should have Subdivision Surfaces, as promised on the official site. :slight_smile:

Lyubomir
[email protected]

Thanks for the post Lyubomir.

I am almost certain that it is a subdivision thing.

Rendering in Blender itself gives a smooth surface with only a few button pushes on a fairly coarse mesh. It must then not be assumed, as I did, that a 3Delight render will be the same.

It is necessary to enable subdivision with say level 2 and all is fine from there on.

I assume from your comments, it will hopefully be possible to subdivide a coarse mesh in 3Delight itself, and get the same results without having to subdivide the mesh in Blender…? (In future releases of 3Delight)

Sorry I cant post pics as I have no access to a server to put them, but I think I might have posted before trying a bit harder. :-?

I don’t know if this link has been posted before:

http://www.cirkus.fr.st/

Check in the CG section – it was there a few weeks ago.

It’s still there! Fantastic. Thanks…