About the future of forums

Discourse very soon surpasses the monopolies of social networks, and a more decentralized internet will return, more divided by subject and theme and more similar to when there were blogs and forums of the early 2000s but more multimedia and interconnected between them …

That would be good news for more focused subjects (ie. CG, computer hardware, art, ect…), but if you’re an advertiser or a business owner who wants to maximize your potential consumer base, then Facebook unfortunately is going to remain the place to go for a while. That simply being due to their 1 billion users.

While individual forums are getting a bit of a revival with new software such as Discourse, dismantling the monopoly of Youtube is going to be a bit harder due to the lack of open software that can quickly produce a site with the same set of features. Peertube looks promising, but they rely on an entirely separate service for accounts and the only real advantage it has is image quality.

maybe it’s just my individual sensations, or maybe it’s because I first came to certain experiences …
but I think we are evolving … collectively, sentient and intelligent people are waking up, and alternative tools like Discourse are emerging …
the net is a living being, and we are moving from a child stage to a teenager, which is why I am optimistic.

The internet has no doubt that it has had varying degrees of evolution over the years, and that of social networks is at sunset …
National States will downsize Centralized Social Network Monopolies with laws. The Masses begin to be favorable to this.

I’ve never used Facebook nor Twitter, and I never will. People who use these services are talking to each other, and basically aren’t listening. There might be a billion of 'em (according to the companies themselves), but that is merely “a crowd.”

Whenever I have a question about Blender, I know exactly where to go – right here. This is a concentration, not a dissipation, of people who are very specifically interested in this product whether professionally or for pleasure. I take from the site and in some slight way try to give back.

“Social Media” is not an efficient use of my time. Forums are.

3 Likes

and behold, that once a great collective mass has become trapped in that mega cauldron of nothing, collectively we gradually take conscience and go out of it going back to what makes the internet useful and constructive…