Absurd functionality?

Hi

Magnit + face + align rotation to target

I already asked this question not knowing many information but now i know something

I wanna align small object to a face of another big object - for this i set 3d cursor to the center of the back side of small object correctly, then i set origin to the 3d cursor correcty

You can see it on video - i have prepared the small object to aligning “perfectly
Then i press “G” - button and magnet it to the face of another object and you can see that alligning is carried out not to the base part of the small object but to the opposite side that is concidered by me as a blender failure

I am suprised that doing such a simple act is so absurd in blender.
I know that there is an addon for aligneng but we say about base and fundamental functionality of the 3d editor that can be carried out perfectly else we can’t continune to develop our model to the next level if the former level is failed… :frowning:

What is wrong? - How to solve this problem for all cases?

Thanks

Use Mesh Align Plus addon
BA Discussion

Instructions in the gitHub page.

1 Like

As I said i know this addon - it is not a news for me - but all addon can fail in aspect on not suppotring new version of blender so i am convinced that i mustn’t set me in dependence from addon “in general”

I need base functionality information how to align an object on the surface of another object using base functionality

Does any body know how to solve the problem that is shown in video???

I have triangle sign with an exclamation inside - what does it mean? Blender 2.8

Have you tried to apply rotation (CTRL-A) before snapping?

Yes i tried, - the result was different in each case
Yes - i can choose angle to match this “magnit” method but i will be enforsed to do it permenant in every new case :frowning:

Why, when i move object with magnit swithed on, blender use front side of aligning object as back side?
Blender inverts orientation :“occasionally”???

Share this example file if you can.

Set your Transform Orientation back to Global (a couple of buttons left of the magnet button)

Rotate your small object in Y 90 degrees so that the bit you want to stick to the face of the other shape is facing downwards.

Ctrl+A and apply rotation.

See if that helps. What you might get is it snapping to the face correctly, but it also rotating it in an unwanted way. If that’s the case try rotating the smaller object back into the orientation you have in your example but not applying rotation.

1 Like

If you expand the tab you’ll read what it means.

BTW if you’ll end up using the mesh align plus addon, take care that the order in which you select the vertices makes the difference from yay to wtf I hate humans.

1 Like

Parallel_Alignment_0002.blend (617.7 KB)

I didn’t understand what this Ctrl+A does - it was just a menu with checkboxes - i couldn’t apply rotation
Yes thanks for your help - i did what you adviced and get this result. Yes the face looks at me but the orientation is wry

Thanks for your help
I get such result

Is this warning made by author or by blender developer?

Yes i know this mesh align plus addon ability - thanks but i did that what you show me in your video succesfully

I found out why the orientation is wry - coz the orientation of the polygon i align to is wry as well - when i align - using your method - samll object onto bit object on to that polygon that look at axis direction then operation ended up succesfully but when i align samll object to next polygon that dosn’t look at any asis then angle aligning become wry but face align was good as you said

The base of the big object is a hexagon and only two vertical rectangular poligons look at exis direction and your method works only to them

The author.

Look at my example below. I built the smaller object flat in the orientation it is in now (1). With the Transform Orientation set to Local and the Move Gizmo turned on you can see its origin is on the side that I want to attach to the bigger object and the Z axis points directly away from that. Look at the N panel on the right. Rotation is 0 in all axes.

I then rotated that object (2) in the Y axis. The N panel will now report 90 for Y rotation. Now it will attach properly to any of the faces.

The reason I mentioned Ctrl+A>Apply>Rotation is to get X, Y and Z rotation to read 0 with your object in that orientation (assuming you built it in a different orientation)

1 Like

I had to try this and it is absurd. Why do you have to rotate it in a weird random direction for it to work? Why doesn’t it rotate it the right way. It does rotate, but it turns the object 90 degrees on its side, what is the point of that? Well, I don’t even want to know more, it’s Blender…

I have found another bit of weirdness. A, B and C are identical copies. A will happily snap correctly to all faces of the cylinder. B and C will not. The only difference is their position in the X axis in relation to the snapping target.

Thanks - seemingly (despite little problem) it works

1 Like