Acoustic Guitar (Modeling Exercise)

Hello, everyone! I recently (as in, an hour and a half ago) decided to try my hand at a little modeling exercise, where I model an acoustic guitar from beginning to end. However, as this is a modeling exercise, I will be creating the detail inside the guitar as well, including some parts that aren’t capable of being seen from any angle (like sections underneath the top panel).

I’ve finished the main body of the guitar, as can be seen below, and started detailing the interior (the top panel is currently hidden, as I haven’t added any additional detail to it as of yet).

Anyway, comments and critiques are welcome! And don’t be afraid to critique it harshly. If you’ve built such a guitar before, or know the acoustics like the back of your hand, and notice some inconsistencies in my model, please, speak up, as I’m working only from reference images :yes:

hi… good work. i have played guitar for 8 years and can tell you that your supporting cross beams are too thin. they are usually about 3/4 inches tall and 1/4-1/3 inches wide. other than that it is looking very good. very impressive

Thanks for your critique! I’ve updated the first post to something (hopefully) more accurate.

looks good to me… i like it. i know this is a modeling exercise, but are you going to texture it? it might be cool to see what you can do with it.

i have to tell you, you have inspired me to give it a shot also. i said i wasnt going to work on anything else till i was done with my lamborghini model but i think i can take a break for a couple days

I don’t know… I’m not all that great at texturing. I might give it a shot, though!

Good luck, then! I look forward to seeing what you come up with :smiley:

Here’s another update. I’ve detailed the underside of the top panel. I just wish there was a way to see all of this once it was all put together :stuck_out_tongue:

ty… i dont suppose i can see wire. a while back i learned an awesome technique for electric guitars but am finding it is horrible for accoustics. i found somthing that works but its kindof makeshift. im curious to see how you are doing it

Heh; I’m afraid I can’t really do a wireframe render because I used curves for most of the larger elements :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve attached a .blend below with just the top panel (minus the detail) to give a better example.

Attachments

Guitar.blend (447 KB)